Fuel Gauge

How about working out the mileage you get out of a tank, knocking a bit off for safety, and then just filling up when you get to that figure?

David Hearn

Hi i have an L reg saloon 405 and my petrol gauge is not working it keeps showing half a tank when there is only 15 quids worth, and the only way i know when to fill up is when the orange warning light comes on. even when the light comes on, the gauge shows quarter or more in tank, but i know from breaking down that thats not the case and to trust the orange light!! does anyone know how much it would be to repair this or can i do something myself to fix it...which would be even cheaper.

any ideas greatly appreciated

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

It's usually at the sender (tank) end.

Reply to
Harry The Geezer

The problem is almost certainly the sender in the tank. Under the back seat you will see a big round plastic bung in the floor. Under that is the top of the tank, and the sender unit. You can take it out and either clean it, or replace it. Not a difficult job. I think it is a float on an arm, and this may just have stuck, so freeing it off might be all that is required.

Reply to
Brian

like some one said its the unit in the tank, very easy todo. but dont spill any fuel onto the seats or carpet,or your know about it .

Reply to
Chrs

Thanks i'll have a look under the seat to be honest did not even know the back seats moved as i could not get into my boot one day tried to move the seats but could not move them had to put my hand through gap behind arm rest! bearing in mind i am a female is there anything i should watch out for whilst doing this?

Brian wrote:

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

If you put your hand down the back of the seat base, and pull it up, the whole thing will pivot forwards, then lift out. Just don't open the top of the tank if you have just filled up with fuel, wait till it is at least half empty. I think the sender unit is held into the tank by a ring which you have to turn. This might be stiff, and need some help with a hammer or similar, try to knock it anticlockwise.

Good luck, but I'm sure you will cope.

Reply to
Brian

thats great thanks so much will let you know how it goes...if i don't blow me and the car up lol...

Brian wrote:

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com