Fuel gauge problem solved (not gauge)

Hi RAMVA!

A few days ago I posted about running out of gas while the gauge showed about half a tank. Well, It was not the gauge that was wrong, not the vibrator either. Aparently I had large pieces of debris in the tank that sometimes clogged the outlet and made the bug run out of fuel.

Last weekend, on a 200kms round trip to a beach to the east I ran out of gas about 40kms after filling up. There's no way the bug could have burned that amount of fuel that fast. checked the fuel filter, and it was totally black, filled up with stuff. Then unplugged the hose coming from the tank to the tunnel and blew a bit into the tank. That cleared the clog enough to get there (had to repeat that 3 times on the way back). Yesterday I took the tank off and got all the fuel out. Filtered the whole 6 gallons with a towel and here's what I found: about 10cc's of water (looked like an amoeba on the bottom of the container), 2-3 cc's of sand like particles, a 1cm sheetscrew, some kind of sillicone rubber piece 5cms x 2 cms, 10cms of haywire and 1 small stone. Now, how did all that get there??? Sould I keep hating PO's?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Hey, that where that sheet metal screw went that I dropped trying to screw that haywire to the stone!!! LOL

I thought everyone knew to put some silicone in the gas tank to capture sand and stones that get pumped into the tank when you use those really cheap gas stations. Just Kidding

Glad you found the problem!!

Reply to
TerryB

Hey, that where that sheet metal screw went that I dropped trying to screw that haywire to the stone!!! LOL

I thought everyone knew to put some silicone in the gas tank to capture sand and stones that get pumped into the tank when you use those really cheap gas stations. Just Kidding

Glad you found the problem!!

Reply to
PHILLIP COYLE

"Karls Vladimir Peña" schreef in bericht news:dg6lnn$8ag$ snipped-for-privacy@puff.nn.cl...

My PO left me a nice legacy: When i restored my bug i found 2(!) rachet extensions size 1/4 in my fueltank. My guess is he/she used them as a dipstick since there is no fuel gauge in it. Didn't clog the fuel filter of course but sure was a strange and hard to find sound when making turns :-)

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Golly Karls !! At first I thought you were going to say " And a partridge in a pear tree! " Sounds like some one was trying to sabotage your ride!

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website: