Peugeot 306 +ve supply to ignition switch

I have just seen what seemed a very strange fault on a Peugeot 306, S1,

1.9 Diesel.

The car stopped and would not start. I found there was no electric power in the car when the ignition was turned to position 1 (or 2 or 3 for that matter). Then I saw that just occasionally the was the odd flicker on instrument light at position 1.

When I checked with a meter, I found that there were two +ve supply wires to the ignition switch, one of them dropped close to 0 volts when the ignition was turned to position "1". No disturbance of the wires at the battery +ve end would make any difference, but giggling the wires at the ignition switch end would sometimes caused the flicker. I excluded the connectors to the ignition switch, the voltage at the loom end of it was dropping.

After looking at the circuit diagram (well, actually 405 S2 circuit diagram Haynes BOL) I found that the good supply was for heated rear window only & the weak one for the rest of the car. The diagram shows a single supply from the battery +ve until & then a connection joint to source the two +ve supply wires to the switch. Once I understood this, I could just bridge the two supply wires at the switch to get the car going.

Has anyone come across the same? Does anyone know where the connection in the loom. I don't really want to remove the console just to see _if_ I can find it!

Regards

Reply to
Dave English

i have what sounds like a very simalar problem on my 306 today have no life on the ignition at all not even a flicker yet the hazards and head lights work just dead as a dodo on the ignition any thoughts anyone very very confused

Reply to
adamxx24