Peugeot 106d Ignition key stuck

Wondering if anyone can offer advice on a stuck ignition key in an '03 reg Peugeot 'Zen' (approx 106 equiv).

'Ignition' (it's a diesel!) switch became intermittently faulty, would sometimes not switch off completely, once to the extent of my being able to remove the key completely from the barrel with the engine running. Fairly rapidly thereafter it began to sporadically refuse to start (refused to go 'live' at all).

Seemed to me like no more than a dodgy wiper on the switch mechanism, but unfortunately, before I got it to a competent mechanic, it decided to stick completely. I now can't even remove the key from the barrel despite it being fully in the 'off' position.

What's interesting is that the steering lock has engaged which it won't usually do while the key's in the lock. This may be thanks to my removing the steering shroud and poking about, trying to discover what was broken the last time it refused to play.

Thanks for any advice. The only thing I can think of is to blast it with compressed air in the hope that something's found it's way into the mechanism. Unfortunately that doesn't really fit with the progression so far, but I live in hope :)

Dave J.

Reply to
Dave J.

I had a key break in the ignition lock of my BX a few years back. IIRC it is possible to dismantle the lock, remove the key and reassemble, making sure you get the little wibbly bits (technical term) back in the right order or else your key won't work. However because of the time factor I had to take it to a dealer who gave me the lock complete with key so I could dismantle it on the bench at leisure.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

[...]

How much earlier is the BX than this perishin '03 106? This one has an immobiliser sensor chip (I assume) fitted into a plastic housing around the barrel. I'm very surprised if there's any way to get at the mechanism in its current state as (and this is the *really* annoying thing) it's jammed in the 'off' position, with steering lock engaged. Other systems I've dealt with have required the barrel to be partially turned before disassembly was even vaguely possible.

If there's anyone here who seriously knows these cars, I see it as a significant symptom that the steering lock's engaged despite the key being in the lock. Usually it's not possible (safety feature!) without removing the key entirely.

If only I could go back in time to yesterday; hotwiring'd be a nightmare with all the modern security gadgetry, but it would at least have been possible given the presence of the correct sender. No chance now, short of breaking the steering lock. :-[

Best of thanks to Malcolm anyhow. I'll head outside to the luxuriant weather and resume my swearword invention algorithm.

Final tack-on question, I assume there's no solenoid involved in the lock mechanism? I'm wary of dropping the battery live for fear of resetting things and generally adding to my woes.

Dave J.

Reply to
Dave J.

Sorry to reply to own post, but looks like I've really had it on this one. I *think* the key is in the 'drive' position but the steering is still locked up tight. Puzzling, even if probably irrelevant.

I'm going to have to try the two keys approach, hunt down a scrap barrel and key, replace the broken one and rely on the sender in the original key to match the code for the ECU. Comments on the viability (or otherwise) of that idea would be welcome. Hopefully it'll tide us over until I can pay for a new lock set. Why did it have to be *me* that was driving it before it finally broke..

Dave J.

Reply to
Dave J.