Strange Noises from 205 TD

Hi,

Have a '91 205 td have noticed a few different dodgy noises coming out of it :

Noise 1:

When I accellerate over about 2000 revs I hear a constant "thudding" noise which gets louder and the thuds get closer together, the harder I put my foot down. The car doesnt consistantly have the power that it used to either. The noise is more apparent after a reasonable length journey. The noise also seems to be getting worse over time (started hearing it 7 months ago) and is aslo apparrent when cornering. Not sure whether this has anything to do with it but my rev counter goes wild shooting all over the place when im going along even without accellerating i notice it shoot up to

4000+ revs when im blatantly not doing anywhere near that. (its almost like the wind is blowing it round?!?) May just be the counter as my speedo always been shakey - i hear thats a common problem on all older peugeots.

Noise 2:

Have been told its the bearings in the wheel going - just want to check - When turning right I get a loud squeeling sound coming from the left side of the car. Noise only occurs when I turn right really.

Hope someone cud give me a bit of advice.

Just another thing which I should say, had a bump about 6 months ago that left the front Passenger side suspension pushed back. So the left wheel actually sits about an inch further back than the right hand wheel! Was told that it would go ok and just to watch the tyre wear (which seems to be fine) and to look out for the whole thing 2nd hand. Other than that she goes ok! I know you all may say buy a new car but Im told the engines in really good nick for its age as its only got 67 n the clock so im reluctant to get rid, Im also a hard up student so a the cheapest solution is always saught as long as the car still goes.

Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Noise 1: I shouldnt think it'll be connected to the rev counter problem - thats just probably some dodgy electrics. The noise sounds like a driveshaft/CV joint or maybe a wheel bearing. Can you tell where the noise is coming from?

Noise 2: AFAIK wheel bearings dont make loud squeeling noises. I had the same problem on my 205 Dtrubo, as it was the power steering pump/belt. I just ignored it and it never caused any problems. May be worth trying to tighten up the belt if its annoying you that much.

As for the wheel - as long as it drives ok, and the tyre's ok i wouldnt worry about it too much. A mate did the same to his XS - pushed the wheel back a few inches, bent the anti-roll bar, but he just carried on driving it for months after that with no problems at all from it.

I know what its like being a hard up student, so if i were you i'd just keep running the TD - with only 67k miles on it, it'll go on for quite a while yet (mine had 120,000 miles on and was running sweet as a nut). Although it may be worth getting the cambelt done if it hasnt been.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Reply to
Keith Forsythe

Thanks Guys

Ive just looked under the car and there is a split rubber "boot" onder the passenger side (the one affected) so I take it the CV joint has gone, any idea how much thats going to set me back ? Im always weary of mechanics ripping me off!

Reply to
Dave Williams

The cv would be replaced with a driveshaft as one unit (it's much easier and cost effective) - You can get a driveshaft with CV's for around 45 - 50 quid and either fit it yourself or get a garage to do it.

It's not a difficult job but takes some brute force!

Make sure you change the oil seal at the gearbox end of the shaft too (it's only around 3 quid!)

Matt

Reply to
Matt

If its the passenger side one, then it should be a piece of cake since there no intermediate bearing, which normally causes problems IME. If you're not happy doing it yourself you could probably get it done in a garage for £100 - £120 (at a guess).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Thanks all for you help lads, Just got it all sorted for £110 inc parts and labour from a mate of a mate. Seems to have solved all of the noises!

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams