1995 Grand Am Overheating

I own this 3.1 and I'm having a problem with it overheating intermittingly. I installed new thermostat thinking that may be the issue but it didn't correct it. I found the bleeder valve and let the air out of the cooling lines but it seems to keep re-appearing... Maybe the air lock is causing the overheating?? Maybe the head gasket is bad. Has anyone run into this issue. The temp gauge will climb (no heat out of heater) then fall fast (instant heat out of heater). This happens again and again...

Please help! Thank you!

Reply to
Riepman

Definitely air in the system. Perhaps a lot of air. When a slug of hot water hits the heater it then blows hot air. If you can get it to a garage or borrow/rent a sniffer, test the air in the overflow for combustion gases (head gasket leak). Are you aware of the intake leak problems with the 3.1?

Reply to
« Paul »

No, I'm not aware of the air intake leak problem in the 3.1. Do you have more information repairing it, etc? Thanks!

Reply to
Riepman

Please forgive a perhaps ignorant suggestion but in a friend's truck this problem was cured by replacing the radiator cap.

Thank you, I'll now return to lurking...

Reply to
Drumstick

Thanks Drum, I'm open to any suggestion at this point. Thanks.

Reply to
Riepman

Drumstick had an excellent suggestion about replacing the cap. I had to put a new on my G/A a couple of years ago.

Many (all?) GM 2.8,3.1,3.4 engines will have an intake water leak. Repair involves installing new intake gaskets in the proper way. Use Google to find out about intake leaks:

gm engine "60 degree" leak intake

Reply to
« Paul »

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Well, this is now fixed. It did end up being the intake manifold gasket. I went ahead and had them replace the head gaskets while they were in there. $1,000 bill... gotta love these Pontiac's...

Reply to
Riepman

Well, this is now fixed. It did end up being the intake manifold gasket. I went ahead and had them replace the head gaskets while they were in there. $1,000 bill... gotta love these Pontiac's...

Reply to
Riepman

changeing the water pump on the 88 grand am is a chore....unfortuantly i'm stuck with mine...some day i'll get a new car....so far with in the last year...new oilpan new oil pump (changed through years why i had get new pan with oil pump) new break caliper, new brake line, 2 front wheel bearings, right now...i have to replaced the steering column...radio died as well...hmmm floor pans gone too...back end isn't on the frame anymore.......patience is the key

Reply to
<hatch