Overheating Studebaker

I had this overheating problem in my 65 sedan and I think I have it solved. Since the car only has a 194 it didnt make sence to me to have to install a heavy duty radiator. So I decided to install a mechanicla temperature gage so I could have an idea of waht the real temperature of the coolant actually was getting to.

I installed the gage and thre days later the car almost did not get me home. I checked everthing and as a last step I decide to pull the distributor cap to see if something funny was hapening to the Pertronics unit.

As soon as I had the cap removed something did not look rightas I had indexed the engine so the rotor should have been pointing to wher the number one distributor nupple was or at least be 180 degrees off. I grabbed a hold of the rotor and ther was all this wobble......

Hmm I thought I had just replaced that distributor...........turned out it was twenty years ago and in that time the danged roll pin holding the gar in place had worn plum clear through......

At least it just took a quarter part to get back on the road......

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

As was pointed out here recently, it is not a standard rollpin, but built to shear. Using a standard roll pin might result in timing gear damage

I once had a large collection of spares in my trunk, including a spares distributor. Worth considering in case you have one around.

Karl

Studebaker Kid wrote:

Reply to
midlant

Funny thing about us Studebaker folks, some of us keep our cars for a LONG time.

A while back someone was having a misfire problem that he was having a tough time sorting out. Finely he traced it down to a bad plug wire and that had him really puzzled because he remembered putting on a new set of plug wires.

Then after thinking about it a while he realized he HAD put on a new set of wires, in something like 1978!

I think there is a good reason why we can't get "lifetime" parts for our Studes

Jeff DeWitt

Studebaker Kid wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt