2002 GP Problems

Hi Everyone,

I am having a couple little problems with my 2002 GP GT (150 000 km) and was wondering if you guys might be able to give me a little insight?

First off, I have a "clunk" noise somewhere in the steering. When I sit in park and turn the wheel approximately 30 degrees in either direction I hear this noise, and I can actually feel it vibrating my hands and feet. Could this be anything connected in the steering linkages? or is there a place where I should checking first?

The second is not really a problem yet, that I know of, but I do not want to let it go if it may be something major. I am hearing a squealing noise right around 2500 RPMS, when the transmission is in second or third gear. I know it is difficult to explain, but it just sounds like a metallic squeal. It tends to stop if I accelerate through that RPM range even before the transmission shifts. The transmission seems to operate OK from a driving stand point and has had no other problems. I really don't know where to start with this one either, but I figured it is possibily the transmission because I cannot duplicate this noise if the car is not in gear.

Thanks very much in advance for any help, I greatly appreciate it. Ian

Reply to
Snowbelt

The first problem sounds like what is wrong with my '00 SSEi. It's a steering linkage lubrication issue. I had it serviced under warranty and the problem returned 15,000 miles later. It is a fairly involved repair necessitating the removal of the driver's side dashboard. It would be approx. $500 if not covered by warranty. Although the clunking can be bothersome, I was told that it poses no safety issues. I've left mine go for

12,000 miles now without any worsening of the problem or related steering or safety issues.

Lee

'00 SSEi '04 Volvo S60 T

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

Reply to
Snowbelt

Did you ever replace any of the front wheel bearing hub assemblies with chinese replacement parts?

I know that sounds random...but my '01 GTP had a similar clunk. After a bunch of auto body shops diagnosed a variety of things "we could try replacing", I read about a person on clubgp.com who said the cheap chinese replacement wheel bearings could cause it.

My bro and I replaced the bearing he put in with a higher quality part and the clunk stopped!

-- Paul Michaels

2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 Fort Lauderdale, Florida My Motorcycle & Travel Pics
Paul Michaels