Oil Soluable Grease

This may appear to be a dumb question but the instructions for replacing the transmission pan gasket on my car state that I should lubricate the gasket lightly with an oil-soluable grease. I understand that oil-soluable means soluable in oil. However, how do I tell whether a grease is considered oil-soluable? I would assume a wheel bearing grease would meet this definition.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Hardy

What kind of car/trans? I've never heard of this and I wouldn't recommend it. If you are using either a cork or paper gasket, it should just go on dry. As soon as you smear stuff on cork gaskets, they have a tendency to go sideways after awhile. And that includes RTV (on the cork gasket...big no no).

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Just get you some indian head gasket sealer, put it on the pan and tranny then put the cork gasket on dry and tighten up the bolts to the specified tourqe.

Reply to
abomb6900