Rear End Ratios

Can anyone tell me if a 2.73 to 1 rear end ratio is more economical than a

3.73to1? What is the formula for figuring the ratios? I checked my car and the drive shaft turns about 2 and 3/4 turns to 1 for the wheel. Would that make it be a 2.73 to 1? Appreciate your help. Lou
Reply to
Lou Sheeley

You got it right. A 2.73 rear end would theoretically be more economical, if you do a lot or driving at a constant speed. You get more speed but less power from a 2.73. More power (torque) but less speed from a 3.73.

tom S.

Reply to
Tom S

You will get better mileage with the 2.73 to 1.

Reply to
fred