Clicking AMC 20 rear end

Hi guys, I hear a click coming from the left rear (driver's side) wheel sometimes when I initially put a load on it. If I go forward about 5 feet from a dead stop, I hear it. Then, if I back up from a dead stop, I hear it. I'm guessing it's the two piece axle going bad from being over HP'd a little. This is in an '84 CJ with a 360 with a few things added to up the hp a touch. Any suggestions on just putting in a one-piece replacement (what's a good one?), or replacing the whole axle with a Dana 44 (or other). Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete Stolz

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Reply to
billy ray

It's not really every few feet. It's just one click just as it gets a load, then it doesn't do it again. The only time it really does it is when I go back and forth from forward to reverse, and it's one click in each direction.

Reply to
Pete Stolz

Sounds like your describing "driveline slap" or a loose suspension bolt.

That can be a U joint in the driveshaft or problems with the diff setup.

I'd be crawling under and rocking the jeep back and forth while looking at the U joints and the slip joint.

Will it make this noise if you rock it back and forth by hand?

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

If the hub is coming loose, it won't hurt to take it off and put some thread locker or sleeve locker on the axle, then torque it down like you say. It probably won't help, but you never know.

Earle

Your AMC 20 is str> >

Reply to
Earle Horton

Geez, thanks Bill. That's great info. I've heard the 20 is a piece of crap for a long time, but my brother-in-law (who's a mechanic) told me he's heard they're pretty good. With this info, I think I'll keep it, and do some

4.56's as well. Right now, I've got the 3.31's. You told me a while ago to put in the 4.56's but I've got at 360 and an NV4500 so I've never had much of a problem. (Plus, I can bury the needle on the highway way too easy.) I can see how the low gearing would help off-road though, so I'm gonna do it. (If nothing else but to slow me down on the highway!) Thanks Pete

Your AMC 20 is str>>

Reply to
Pete Stolz

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill, just out of curiosity, what did that Javelin run in the 1/4?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

That's pretty stinkin fast.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Those were the days when anyone could go down to your corner dealership and buy a Super Stocker off the lot.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I see that Camaro was built in Norwood,

I bought my ex one of the last to come out of that plant before it closed, a couple weeks before she ran off with one of her boyfriends.

Reply to
billy ray