Boxster - Long Term / High Mileage Update @ 140K - FInal

Last post on this topic - and probably on AAP

Well, I finally sold my 1998 Arctic Silver Boxster. It had +140K on the clock, and the body/paint/interior looked like brand new, even after 7 years of use.

Everything worked when I sold it, but the conv top fabric (original) was getting a little frayed looking, and the rear window (replaced once) was yellowing and slightly cracked at middle.

All in all, owning this car was a very rewarding experience, although I had my moments with a couple of frustrating repair situations, including not ever having established any worthwhile trusting relationship with my local servicing dealer. The car was always a pleasure to drive, and to the end got 25 MPG on highway, and didn't use/burn/drip so much as a drop of Mobil One oil even with all those miles on the clock.

I sold it because I figure that about 70-80 percent of the 'practical service life' was through the car, i.e. was on original clutch, original rear rotors, original alternator, etc etc, so I figured some sort of major repair was inevitable, and I could'nt see myself putting on a new top, and/or clutch, etc, or whatever was next. After those particular repairs, I would still have a well-worn car, looking at some other future wear out repair.

Interestingly, for the price I sold it, I think the recieving owner

*should* be ready to do such repair if and when it's ready, and the car would still be a bargain FOR THEM. Those days of worrying about that aspect are best left behind me, though.

Anyway, I have a new C-6 Corvette (Machine Silver) on order, will be built in a couple weeks, and wanted to wish everyone farewell.

Before anyone starts a rant on Porsche vs 'Vette, let me just say that the very day I first test drove the Boxster, I knew the power was a little down (205 hp), and I am going to get that itch scratched with 400 HP, at about the same price the Boxster set me back. But other than that one major point, I think it all boils down to preference, and I will be glad to have experienced *both* cars (also had a pre-owned '86 Vette years back). The Boxster served me well, and hopefully is now in the hands of someone who will do any minor reconditioning needed to extend it's life even longer!

My Best,

GS

Reply to
self1