Tempted (again) by Td5 disco - is 140K mega high mileage?

Damn, damn and damn again. How I could wish I could make my mind up.
I've been tempted again by an S reg TD5 which is for sale at a car
dealers a few hundred yards from where I work.
I have 2 questions.
1.) The mileage is 140K but you could swear that the vehicle has done a third of this mileage. Absolutely mint apart from a crack in the window and a tiny bit of paint flaking off the plastic at the front. I guess that this is amongst the oldest of the TD5 engines around but probably not the highest mileage. Does anyone else have an opinion as to high mileage TD5s? And have an opinion either way?
2.) There is a "box" under the drivers seat with some pipes coming into it that has a bit of a leak, can someone tell me what this is? Is it linked to the ACE?
3.) (yes is know i only said two but i've thought of another one!) What kind of money should this be fetching? It's silver and from what I can work out it's got ACE, hil descent, a CD changer, twin sunroofs with cloth seats and manual box )and it's just had a new transfer box) any ideas as to value?
It's up for 6250
Dave
Dave R wrote:
| Damn, damn and damn again. How I could wish I could make my mind up. | | I've been tempted again by an S reg TD5 which is for sale at a car | dealers a few hundred yards from where I work. | | I have 2 questions. | | 1.) The mileage is 140K but you could swear that the vehicle has done | a third of this mileage. Absolutely mint apart from a crack in the | window and a tiny bit of paint flaking off the plastic at the front. | I guess that this is amongst the oldest of the TD5 engines around but | probably not the highest mileage. Does anyone else have an opinion as | to high mileage TD5s? And have an opinion either way? | | 2.) There is a "box" under the drivers seat with some pipes coming | into it that has a bit of a leak, can someone tell me what this is? | Is it linked to the ACE? | | 3.) (yes is know i only said two but i've thought of another one!) | What kind of money should this be fetching? It's silver and from what | I can work out it's got ACE, hil descent, a CD changer, twin sunroofs | with cloth seats and manual box )and it's just had a new transfer | box) any ideas as to value? | | It's up for 6250 | | Dave
If it's got four pipes running parallel to the chassis behind the RH front wheel, it's got ACE. Nothing connected with this under the seat as far as I know. HDC is standard on all models and means you have TC as well. Trade price is 6320 and private good condition around 7500, according to http://www.parkers.co.uk /, although that's with an average 70K on the clock. It was up for 5995 at first as I remember, and that seems to be a good price to me - subject to test drive, of course.
--
Rich
==============================
Richard Brookman wrote:

Yeah, the buggers have put the price up, all I can think of is that they've had the rest of the history through and they've "discovered" that it's had a new engine or something. Or they're being T@$ts. I can't get my head round the mileage thing though.
I can't help thinking that despite how well it may have been driven, 140K is still a bloody high mileage. Saying that, my Rangie has 133K on it and still doesn't use any oil.
Sorry, when I said drivers seat, i meant under the floor, roughly below the drivers arse next to the chassis. It has a leak, problematic and expensive to fix, or just an excellent bargaining tool? It must be ACE then, I'm assuming that ACE is associated with those rams by the front axle to reduce body roll?
If it's got ACE, and HDC would it probably have TC aswell? It's not airsprung which is a bonus in my eyes.
Ang had a look at it today and liked it which has started me thinking again.
Dave
[...]
Dave re 2) there is a known problem with a the wiring loom on the early D2 TD5 which should have been put right under warranty oil enters the loom and wanders about contaminating various bits till it reaches the ECU if it gets into the ECU you havea piece of expensive junk jewellery you may want to check the price plus the cost of reinstalling ( not a plug on out one in job). Exciting problems include misfires and as I posted a while back sudden unexpected acceleration ( I have a pal who bought one ) google > disco td5 oil leak into loom < for more info If it has the problem you might want to bargain the price down somewhat Derek
Thanks Derek,
I remember reading something about this now you mention it. Is it something that I can check visually, or is it only a case of checking that the thing has been changed under warranty?
I n your opinion, what should I look out for on a test drive?
Dave

I can ask Gordon what they did when his was repaired but since then he has started to get the problems which may be due to his ECU suffering as a result - I'm not delivering to them at the moment I get a nice trip to the Lakes each day instead hence I dont know if he has solved the problem which included accelerating under braking while driving downhill nr Buxton he was not impressed!! I'll leave others to offer test drive ideas Me, I've just bought a 200Tdi and I'm happy a pig etc. Derek as I get older my computers seems to misspell more worms and M$ bugger up the formatting

I can ask Gordon what they did when his was repaired but since then he has started to get the problems which may be due to his ECU suffering as a result - I'm not delivering to them at the moment I get a nice trip to the Lakes each day instead hence I dont know if he has solved the problem which included accelerating under braking while driving downhill nr Buxton he was not impressed!! I'll leave others to offer test drive ideas Me, I've just bought a 200Tdi and I'm happy as a pig etc. Derek as I get older my computers seems to misspell more worms and M$ buggers up the formatting
I know what you mean about the 200tdi being excellent, however, I had a 51 plate TD5 for a couple of months for my last job and remeber how brilliant it was........ Except for getting it stuck when towing my trialler to an event. I still blame the nearly bald tyres tho............
Dave

I've emailed Gordon I'll let you know how it turned out when he replies.I like the idea of simplicity as far as engine management goes. I know the newer stuff is more economical powerful etc but any car that has to be plugged into a dealers computer each time it has a fault or part replaced is not my idea of fun I hope to be buying a series III for a project soon that should prove I can still set timing without a light and points without a computer ( or a gauge when I get me new specs ) suppose thats why I love Landrovers Derek
as I get older my computers seems to misspell more worms and M$ buggers up the formatting
Absolutely, you've got a point. I work from time to time with brand new outboard engines, which are now becoming fly by wire this and fly by wire that. We're already having problems, and we've got the 4000 laptop to plug into it!
When I bought the RRC Tdi, I was lucky enough to have a "spare" vehicle in case anything wrong. Now, i'm happy to get rid of my spare engine as I'm really happy with the motor. On the other hand, i've done countless miles behind TD5 engines in both discovery and defender and never had a single problem. I think i'm in a no-mans-land when it comes to vehicles, perhaps I should sit tight for a bit!
Having thoughts about how nice a RRC i could have if I spent that 6250 on it!.............
Dave
"Dave R" miles behind TD5 engines in both discovery and defender and never had a single problem. I think i'm in a no-mans-land when it comes to vehicles, perhaps I should sit tight for a bit!
Having thoughts about how nice a RRC i could have if I spent that 6250 on it!.............
Dave
Mmm good point when you look at that sort of cash I always think Overfinch I know they are insane but I would love to borrow one for a while.Of course I can always download the video for the P38 http://ww3.overfinch.com/liveaction/ and turn the sound up wonder where the RRC 570 video went to ? Derek
Derek wrote:

don't think i'llever get that perfromance out of my TDi.
Mind you would benefit from a big intercooler etc.
I have though about putting a tunedTD5 in the RRC. 190bhp or so. All the looks of the RRC with the go of a TDV6 range rover sport. am still seriously thinking about it!!
Dave

If the ACE is leaking it can be expensive to fix, the valve block (the bit under the drivers seat with the pipes) is about 700 alone. It cost me nearly 2K to get my ACE leak fixed last year. Admittedly, some of that was becasue I used a non LR garage to start with. However, the LR garage charged me over 1.5K; LR gave me 750 back as a post warranty claim.

My W reg Disco TD5 has just gone by the 100K mark, has had the ecu loom changed (but not under warranty although LR contributed) and it drives like a dream.
regards
nemo2
excellent, haven't heard a bad thing about the TD5 engine in the disco yet. I'm thinking that the oil in the wiring loom thing would have occured by now at 140K, is it based on mileage do you think or time?
Dave

Dave,
I'm afraid I don't know, mine was changed at 92K (5 years old), I hadn't notice any problems but the mechanic fixing the ace leak spotted it. I asked him how he managed to spot it and he said that it was a common occurance and suggested the post warranty claim.
The mechanic said that the signs of it going are loss of perfomance and misfiring. I hadn't noticed anything, so I don't how long it would have been before I had problems, but the mechanic said that it was only a moment of time.
regards
nemo2

I spoke to Gordon today no its still giving trouble after the loom was replaced they forgot they had to plug it in to recalibrate ( unplug a sensor and it goes offline until its recal) result that none of the sensors was doing owt since then its been on a test book and reset. Its better but still giving problems 900 miles on above 2250 rpm its wooly drop the revs to 2k and its spot on -- if anyone has an idea I'll pass it on as the ecu is now suspect btw this is pulling a big caravan. Re : squeezing more power out the lad has a loom that plugs in from this lot http://www.vanaaken.com/ and it does what they say he's very impressed smoother and bags of torque not withstanding the other problems. Derek.

Site Timeline