Porsche's new "Cayman" model.

There's a sub-site up through Porsche North America's website for the new Cayman model, which isn;t really all that new. It is, however, the model that's been rumoured and written about since 1997....it's really a Boxster coupe. No word yet on any power specs, although I'd assume that it's going to have the same motors as the Boxster. Porsche claims that the model will situate in between the Boxster S and 911, where there is a fairly good sized price gap. Personally, I'd be happier with a more powerful versions of the Boxster, but the Cayman may prove faster than it's soft-topped brother if the curb weight comes down without the motorized soft-top system.

Reply to
Steven Grauman

Hi all!

If you guys see the small feature film (on Flash), at the end you can hear the guy talking about some specs (under the item "Passion") on the so called "Boxster-Coupé": a 3,4 liter engine with 295HP. My guess is that it can really be a better car than a 911, not because it's better value for money, but because it can be lighter (since it it a closed car it needs less chassis reenforcements than the roadster) and better balanced, because of it's mid-engine lay-out. And I'm not just saying so because I own a Boxster - I'm planning to add a

993-911 to my garage pretty soon! Just think about something: the great majority of "super-cars" (including the Carrera GT) have a "no-compromise" mid-engine lay-out... I wonder why...

;-)

Well guys, we have to wait and see, won't we?

vricardo

98 2,5 986 Boxster
Reply to
vricardo

Nice engine, looks horrible

Reply to
Robin Smith

I like the looks, although I'm both confused and dissapointed at Porsche's engine choices for both variants of the Boxster. The Boxster/Cayman price point puts it into much more direct competition with the Corvette than is the 911, at least where price is concerned. But not only does the Boxster's performance fail to match that of the Corvette, it doesn't match the new SLK350 or Z4 3.0 either. Porsche needs to get serious, it's high time the company had a $50-55k model that could truly rule the roost at that price point.

Reply to
Steven Grauman

Got a link to a pic?

Reply to
DJRJR

Car and Driver had a pic, but I can seem to locate it on the site anymore. Try a Google search. Otherwise, Porsche's site should have pics up soon. It sort of looks like a new Boxster and a 997 Carrera had a baby.

Reply to
Steven Grauman