Porsche Cayman built in Finland?

I'm not quite sure if this was an error, but a local newspaper did a review on the Porsche Cayman, and it listed that it is built in Finland. Is there any truth to this? I have nothing against Finland, it's just that I've always thought Porsche built *all* of their automobiles in Germany.

Reply to
Ian

You thought wrong. The Boxster is built in Stuttgart and Finland (The company is Valmet or something). Since the Cayman is built off the same platform, makes since the same company helps out. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

Yes, they are made by Valmet in Finland:

Ottar Holstad

Regal53

I don't know for sure, but if I had to take a guess I would say wages are higher in Finland than in Germany. I live in Norway, not far from Finland, and here the price of "floor-level" workers are higher than anywhere else. That said, I don't think all Boxster's and Cayman's are made in Finland. Maybe they outsource only some of the production when demand is at the highest, like just after a new model is launched.

In the same way that a Toyota made in UK is a japaneese car :)

Reply to
Ottar Holstad

Boxsters have been built both in Stuttgart and Finland since their introduction. In actuality, Porsche builds and paints all the bodies and engines and then ships complete "kits" by train to Valmet for final assembly. Both internal and independent inspectors have noted that the cars assembled in Finland are not only equal in quality, but in some cases exceed the quality of the cars built in Germany. Essentially...there is no difference, but it gives Porsche additional capacity without having to invest in additional buildings or personnel.

I hadn't seen it discussed, but it would be natural for Porsche to assemble at least some of the Caymans in Finland.

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Valmet makes Boxsters and Caymans as well as Saab, Lada, Talbot and Opel. They've also developed/produced military firearms, aircraft and paper mill machinery.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Reply to
Regal53

Many, if not all, Caymans are being assembled in Finland. You can tell by a letter code in your VIN:

S = Stuttgart U = Uusikaupunki

I don't recall seeing an "S" VIN in our group of Cayman enthusiasts at

Eza Gadson

So, if my wife had my son in Canada while visiting the hockey hall of fame, my son would be Canadian?

BMW assembles the Z line here in the States, so does that make them American cars? Most Hondas and Nissans are built in the States, does that make them American? Are Toyotas Mexican cars?

To answer your question...it is not where you were born, bu of what nationality are your parents...

Reply to
Devils944S2

My wife and I are both English, but both of our daughters were born in the US. They are both US citizens.

Reply to
Steve Thompson

Actually, I believe that they have dual citizenship (if you or your wife have retained your British citinzenship).

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers
< My wife and I are both English, but both of our daughters were born in the US. They are both US citizens.>

Crappy U.S. immigration policy aside...I can guarantee you if my wife and I are Americans and our son is born in England, I can guarantee you he will not be recognized as English.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Yes, that is true.

Reply to
Steve Thompson

Yes. If born in Canada, your son would have Canadian citizenship. Canadian nationality law confers citizenship simply on the basis of birth in Canada. Additionally, a child born outside Canada to a Canadian parent will also hold Canadian citizenship.

(snip)

The answer is.... it depends on the country in question. Some countries follow the legal concept of jus sanguinis (law of the blood), meaning that citizenship is passed from parent to child. Other countries follow the concept of jus soli (law of the soil), meaning that citzenship is granted on the basis of being born within that country's borders.

Many jus soli countries have jus sanguinis provisions to allow their citizens to also pass citizenship to children born abroad.

Also, some jus soli countries have added the provision that if a person is born within their borders they will only receive citizenship if at least one parent is either a citizen or a non-citizen who has been admitted for permanent residency.

The US and Canada are the two major countries that still grant citizenship solely on the basis of birthplace without taking parentage into account.

Reply to
sgallagher

[...]

Britain "used to" grant citizenship on the basis of birth in the UK. But this was changed as of January 1, 1983. A person born in the UK BEFORE that date would have British nationality regardless of his parents citizenship. But, persons born on Jan 1, 1983 or later, in the UK are normally only British if at least one parent is either British or is a person who is "settled" in the UK. Settled means living in the UK without any time limit on their stay.

Reply to
sgallagher

WOW, what a guess, a bad one. Virtually all Boxsters coming to the US were ASSEMBLED in FINLAND. Excellence magazine has had several articles on this. The quality does not suffer, in fact may be better. As far as wages, I don't know. The assembly was contracted out to Valmet due to quantity, not economy.

Additionally, some other not so well known facts:

Some body panels contracted out to BMW

Automatic Tranny contracted out to Mercedes

5-speed manual contracted out to VW

I am sure there are more factoids I do not know about.

Thanks, Joe Gliebe Happy boxster owner (FINLAND Boxster) Happy Beck Spyder owner Happy 996 owner

Reply to
<josephgliebe

Well to put it better in perspective, it is not where the car is assembled or made, it is the process by which it is assembled and made.

Reply to
<josephgliebe

Reply to
Chris