214SLi: How do I get this fob to work again? Red light still blinks...

Hi All,

Do pardon my "newbieness" to Rover, but now the alarm won't let me start the engine. I wonder if it's the fob, the door or the alarm box under the dashboard (is it called ECU?). A 2nd hand 214SLi acquired only over a week ago, now parked for almost a week! ...

--o-- Previous owner could activate alarm by locking driver door which also central-locked all doors, after which alarm's red light on dashboard would continue to blink in intervals

--o-- Only ignition key was used to open all doors to enter car. If driver door was left ajar, alarm's red light on dashboard lit contantly, otherwise it would light in intervals

--o-- To start engine, previous owner could disarm alarm by turning ignition key to position I or II until alarm's red light lit constantly, then would hold down dimpled button (lock) until red light 'd go off. Then engine would start on turning ign key as usual

Now I tried this myself about a couple of times and could drive the car around. After parking it almost a week ago, it doesn't work anymore. I've changed the battery on the fob and followed some of the advice on this forum of: locking door; moving out of sight and pressing both buttons; changing battery; moving back to car; opening car with ign key and pressing dimpled (lock) button several times to lock. Nothing!

When I open door or turn ign key to pos I or II, red light would light constantly, otherwise it still continues to blink in happy intervals when doors are locked or ign key turned off! What do I do? Previous owner's now travelled very far-n-wide!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

GeeM

Reply to