416i fuel tank

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my 416 losing petrol from the top of the tank and wondered if there's a gasket that could be knackered. The Haynes manual isn't too explanatory on the tank and what's attached to it so can anyone shed any light on what the likely culprit could be?

If there's a hole/split, has anyone successfully patched it with fibreglass?

Thanks for any useful advice; I don't smoke btw :)

Reply to
losttheplot

It's very quiet in this group, you would a quicker response in the Rover groups at

Brian G

Check the downpipe from the filler to the tank itself for corrosion or just plain knackered. They tend to go at either end of the filler pipe.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:16:31 GMT, "Paul Hubbard" wrote:in a shakey hand

Ta for the suggestion, that would be less of a problem to deal with. It'll be later this week or weekend before I drop the tank and try and sort it.

Reply to
losttheplot

To all, it is the seam on both sides of the tank that's split so a new tank is on order and due hopepully in a day or so. £64 incl delivery and VAT.

Bye.

Reply to
losttheplot

Bugger.

Thanks for letting us know.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:16:20 GMT, "Paul Hubbard" wrote:in a shakey hand

No problem with that, it's more than a bit infuriating when someone asks and never concludes the story. The tank arrived complete with gasket and nuts less than 24 hours after ordering so that's my Saturday sorted :)

in case anyone's interested.

Bye.

Reply to
losttheplot

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:42:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:in a shakey hand

Oh and didn't I have a fun Saturday fitting the new tank, all bolts etc. were the originals and 10 years old :) Plenty of drilling and re-tapping for new bolts, plenty of hack sawing and all while the gentle odour of unleaded pervaded the air. Fortunately it was a breezy day :)

I was almost defeated on fitting the new tank as the strap retaining bolts had to be cut in bits for removal however, a couple of M8 eye-bolts from the DIY shop with approx. 1/4 cut off the eye fitted a treat.

At the end of it all I sat the old tank atop of the wheelie-bin and set up a siphon into the new tank and all works well.

It was a ball=che of a job but next time it'll be a lot easier :)

bye.

Reply to
losttheplot

Up until BMW took over, Rovers were built wit real screws and bolts, bombproof technology, my old 200 was very well built. Then the BMW 25 replacement was full of scrivits and nasty plastic pop push securers which go brittle with age (and does not say much about the build quality of real BMW vehicles).

At least when something is secured with a nut, bolt and washer, it is not going to accidentally come off in a hurry.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard