Radio code entry problem

Slightly different problem from the usual missing radio code in that I have the code but can't see it in the screen.

Car is a Rover 600 and the display is defunct so I have to enter the code blind. The manual says I need to use the preset 1 key and the left and right keys to enter the number. I have tried a couple of times but it fails to accept the code I use so I presume I am making a mistake when I enter the numbers. I did manage it once so I know my code is correct but I have forgotten the procedure.

Can someone give me the exact key strokes to enter a code say 2301.

Thanks for your help.

John

Reply to
John

Would help if you mentioned what model the radio was.

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Good question but I am not sure how I can tell.

All that is on the radio R860. Th car is an S reg 623 if that's any help.

John

Reply to
John

If the code has not already been entered, or power to the set has been interupted, the code MUST be entered before the set will operate. Enter the code as follows:

Switch on the radio ('CODE' appears in the display) Press pre-set button 1. Press one of the manual tuning buttons to select th first digit of the security code. Press pre-set 1 to store the first digit in the unit's memory. Use either tuning button to select the second digit of the code. Press pre-set 1 to store the second digit Select the third digit, again using the tuning buttons. Press pre-set

1 to store the third digit Select the final digit (the display will now show the full four digit code) . Press pre-set 1 to store the final digit. If the correct code has been selected, a two-tone ICE 009 bleep will sound and the radio will operate. NOTE: If an incorrect code has been entered; a single warning tone will sound and the first time delay period commences. During the delay period; 'Err' or 'WAIT' will appear in the display - DO NOT switch off. At the end of the delay period; 'CODE' will reappear in the display and you can then enter the correct code. Remember; the time delay period doubles each time an incorrect code is entered.

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Beat me to it.... :o)

To be honest, source a replacement rather than put up with this aggro or do as I did, fitted an Alpine unit with steering flipper conversion box to allow the paddles to work with the new radio.

Better sound quality to boot anyway.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I got a replacement display for my R660 off Ebay. £37 all in, as against £78 or so for an original.

So many seem to fail, I don't know if it's a batch fault or they're all crap. Hopefully this one will see my ownership out now.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks for that Andy, but I have the manual with that in. Problem is I don't know what effect the left and right tuning buttons have.

So I presume I have a dash available after preset 1. Which tuning button (left or right) puts the first number in the first position and is it a 1 or a 0?

If it is a 1 does 0 appear after the 9?

Thanks John

Reply to
John

Thanks again for the response. I looked at that when I bought the can but it was £130 including fitting. Are they easy to fit if you do it yourself? John

Reply to
John

Fit it yourself. Easy to change a radio but make sure you have the code ready for the new one, and you will need four x 3 inch masonary nails or nails of a similar diameter to get the old radio out.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I meant the display not a new radio.

Reply to
John

Ok when you connect battery and switch on the radio you get CODE.

Pressing the first preset 1 sets the first digit to 0 The single right-hand pointing manual tuning button increases this, the single left-hand pointing manual tuning button decreases it.

Once it is on the correct first digit, press the first preset again, when the display steps on to the second digit, which you set as above and so on.

My radio is the R660 with the separate display set into the dash below the windscreen. You carefully lever off the bezel and then it is simply secured with a couple of screws, but I don't know about the

600.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks Andy worked first time although I was on a 4 hour delay so I had to disconnect.

Perfect

Reply to
John

Aha, can be difficult depending on how the maufacturer designed the thing. The majority of Rover fitted radios are rebadged Philips units, and they can be a real pig to work with.

If you are hellbent on doing it, write down each move on a notepad with which screw done what, makes reassembly easier.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard