clarion CD unit for 1991 900S

I'm in the United States and am looking to put a compact disc player in my 1991 900S. I believe that in this year only turbo models came with a CD/equalizer unit in the lower DIN slot. I believe I once saw a website selling Clarion stock units from various years. Does anyone have that web address? Or could I get away with a non-clarion unit for cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rob Rumple

I have a 1991 9000 that likely has the same radio (equalizer only, no CD player in the lower DIN slot). When I bought the car in 1997, I started looking to replace the equalizer with a CD player. None were to be found at that time. Last year, the tape player in the radio broke. I contacted Clarion

but it used to be
who said that parts were no longer available and that it could not be repaired. A web site for an independent repair facility
a repair price between $125 - $165. So I bought a Blaupunkt MiniDiscplayer with an in-dash 5 CD changer. Total price: about $350 and I haveexactly what I want. I think the Clarion CD unit alone was priced higherthan that when I checked. Unfortunately, the Blaupunkt components I boughtseem to be discontinued, but I'm sure you can put together a system withpieces from another brand. I recommend checking Crutchfieldwww.crutchfield.com. If you buy the radio from them, they will include aconnector that will plug directly into the radio wiring harness so you don'thave to cut any wires. Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Thanks to those who responded. Crutchfield looks like a good outfit, but I asked specifically about Clarion CD/equalizer units for the 1991

900 to stay true to the vintage. I thought I had seen where a small outfit was selling used Clarion radios for Saabs, probably salvaged from wrecks and parts cars. I am remembering correctly? Has anyone seen this?

Reply to
Rob Rumple