GM to cut virtually all Saab's ties to Sweden

Obviously you wouldn't recognize it as such, so there's no point.

See what I mean?

Does that mean you're done now?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

My point, which you could only be missing intentionally, is that it went from being an acronym, to being a word, at that time. Maybe even before. For anyone else, I'd go dig it up to see when Saab AB was formed. Oddly, I don't have motivation to do your homework for you.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

majority in Parliament

my point actually !

I'm wasting my time talking to you, clearly.

- if you hadn't

It's a corporation, not a government.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I would, but I appear to be one of the "loathed".

And I'll have you know my views are not "skewed" in the least, well except for those about SAABs... ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

If you trace this back, you'll discover that was *exactly* what I was saying in my first post to this thread.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

FYI RE: SAAB, then SAAB-SCANIA and now, Saab AB

It was Investor, the owner of Saab-Scania, who decided to divide the two companies Saab and Scania into independent companies. One reason to that was that there were on synergies between Saab's consumer products and Scania's The process started In 1990, I think, when Investor sold half of its stake in the Saab car to GM. In 1995, Scania and Saab (the remaining part of their operations)t became independendet and a year later listed on the stock market.. Scania has no interest in buying Saab.

Reply to
Saab Guy

It is interesting that you offer the suggestion I might be a Democrat, because this kind of parochialism of thought is part of the problem.

I live in Australia, a country which is one RoboChimp's staunchest allies, yet even here there is now genuine widespread fear and loathing of the US, especially amongst the younger generations.

Just to keep this post on topic, I have a question regarding an engine stumble problem on a 2.0 non DI APC turbo manual trans....

This stumble usually happens after slowing down in gear and then gently resuming acceleration. The stumble only happens once and then things are normal until the next time I slow down in gear and resume. The plugs are relatively new (maybe 5,000km old) and are gapped at the minimum spec. Operating at the other end of the gap range results in severe bucking when under high boost levels. The octane of the fuel used is 98RON (Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate) and the engine is in otherwise sound condition.

Reply to
ShazWozza
[snip]

Isn't BBC on the hot seat? I thought British citizens resent the tax supporting BBC when they have all the cable channel choices now.

[snip]

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I would know more if Britain was still an empire!

Reply to
Dan

Universities in the United Kingdom only require a foreign language if the student is choosing a degree where the language(s) is central to the course. (Like studying languages) :-)

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Motion seconded.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

.. Aye ..

Reply to
Dexter J

Just remember, don't lay blame on GM, aim your anger to the Swedes for selling off Saab.

Reply to
WitchDr

It's certainly a topic for debate. Strictly it's not a tax since you only pay it if you have a TV ( my neighbour doesn't for example ). There's been talk on an 'internet tax' to replace the license fee. I believe Germany is doing this soon.

For my part I love the absence of advertising interrupted programming.

I don't have cable - most of it seems to be junk anyway. Quality programming is costly.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Riiiight...those would be views that you don't agree with.

Reply to
WitchDr
< snip >

Chrysler are doing ok actually. I rather like the looks of the Crossfire actually.

They seem to get away with it !

I get the strong impression it has simply lost its way. For starters it has too many US brands, never mind the European ones.

Even BL - then Rover had to drop the Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley and Vanden Plas brands over a period of time.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I've *never* understood the point of visiting a foreign country and avoiding their food although I might draw the line at eating insects such as in Thailand.

Even France has McDonalds btw ! The mind boggles. I've been to one in Bombay too

- mainly for a laugh - the only country ( IIRC ) where McDonalds doesn't serve beef. Over there you can't get a big Mac, it's a Maharajah Mac and made with chicken.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ok.

Good point, although it seems that the whole motor industry is 'globalising' into a few large companies.

They say this is due to the high cost of developing new 'platforms'. To put it another way it's about making cars cheaper. Sharing technology and key parts makes excellent sense of course too.

I reckon today's cars are better built and specified than has ever been the case before at a price that's almost crazy.

There's also simple over-capacity. I guess something has to give. Just hope that it isn't Saab.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Naturally it's not *personal* ! :-)

I assume from your comment that whilst an American you're not entirely happy with the face that your country's government currently presents to the world ?

I'll leave it at that. You have my comisserations.

I was just thinking about this and I recalled that I was first attracted to Saab back in 1980. I was on holiday visiting friends in Bristol and having a great time. Lovely City btw.

Walking around, I came across a black 99 turbo. There weren't that many of them around. I was drawn to it and had a good look inside. I think it was then that I knew I had been bitten by the Saab bug.

I was seriously considering Saab just over 10 yrs back. I visited the local dealer who was based in a tiny village back then - it's a big operation now and has moved.

I liked the aesthetics of both the 'new' 900 and the 9000 from the outside but something about the 900 inside wasn't for me.

Then I jumped into a 9000. Lovely, but I was awed by its sheer size ! That as much as anything deterred me from making a purchase back then.

For years I bored my friends with my 'I'll buy a Saab as my next car' line.

Finally, I realised that my trusty GM Vauxhall 2 litre Cavalier hadn't much more economic life in it and realised I had to find something to replace it. I'd just discovered ebay and found what looked like a nice 9000 from a dealer with good feedback.

I thought - heck, let's buy one - it's not expensive and if I don't like it I can sell it on.

One of the better purchases I've made in my lifetime as I realised when driving it home. Rarely have I felt so instantly at home in a car ( even though it was a lemon ).

Oh - I forgot to mention before I went for my current 9000, I was bidding on a 'no expense spared maintained' Aero owned by a 'Saab nut' and just lost it by £32 at the last second. Such is life. I fancy a 2.3 fpt one day.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Lol @ the auto repair ! I had no choice but to learn to do it when I bought an original 1966 Ford Cortina as a student. I ended up doing just about everything you can on a car short of a gearbox strip and welding.

You're right about learning languages early. It's been well studied. Kids are much more able to pick up language skills fast when they're young it seems.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear