Brakes Seem Spongy on '01 SL2

We recently had a front brake job done on our 2001 SL2. Within a few days there was anoticeable vibration in the pedal. The mechanic who did the work said he believed that since we were feeling the vibration in the pedal instead of the steering wheel that the problem was with the rear brakes. He had the drums turned and adjusted the brakes. When my wife picked up the car he told her the brakes would feel "spongy" for a while. It has been 4 weeks the brakes are still spongy and sometimes the pedal goes almost to the floor. I cannot cause the brakes to lock up (No they are not ABS). The mechanic is going to take another look at the brakes because he says they "feel like ther is an ABS problem" even though he knows they are not ABS. Any thoughts other than finding a new mechanic?

Reply to
experteece

Were the rotors turned or replaced? If they were turned they are probably to thin and created a hot spot. I dont even fool with turning rotors anymore. I just buy the cheap china made rotors and quality brake pads that are usually made in the states. If I get a bad rotor I can still replace it 3 times before I reach the OEM price...

Reply to
blah blah

Brake pulsing is most likely the front rotors. Were they turned or replaced? It sounds like the mechanic may have tried to re-use them without turning them or if they were replaced, possibly with low grade rotors that had warpage and now need turning? What parts and labor were you charged for on this service receipt?

On the spongy brake pedal, this is usually air that was introduced into the brake lines during improper bleeding or allowing the master cylinder to get too low on fluid. In either case, if you re-bleed the brakes it should address the soft pedal. I sincerely doubt it is the rear brakes since they were not touched.

I would definitely consider finding a new mechanic.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The rotors were replaced with non-OEM rotors. I don't believe they were turned.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
experteece

I agree.