Can I put 185's on instead of 175/70's?

Will i screw up the transaxel? These are winter studded tire. They are

185/70/r14's The car calls for 175/70/r14

I called the dealer, they couldn't give me a straight answer.

Reply to
Shawn

If the Walmart near you has a tire shop they will also have a book that will have acceptable plus sizes for your model car, just call and they will look it up for you...but don't buy your tires there. Better yet NTB (National Tire and Battery) deals extensively with plus sizing and can tell you what you need to know. I've bought tires and had brake work done there and they were always quick and professional.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

You can absolutely install those tires. HOWEVER, you WILL see a decrease in gas mileage (miles per tank). You will also see a slight difference in speedometer vs tachometer speeds, but not enough to get a speeding ticket. The speedometer error factors into the fewer miles per tank, but the real issue is that those tires weigh a good bit more.

The car will also feel "heavier" riding and more cumbersome to steer. You probably won't notice the steering feel; I did because I have a 92 SL (which has no power steering).

I put on 185's because I lacked traction when pulling out in the rain (oily roads, heavy foot on throttle, manual tranny, etc.).

FYI, I just turned 270,000 miles on the original clutch and exhaust system......all for $9800 in 1992.

Reply to
Earl43P