Car not Starting

I went to get in my car and start it. It would not start, I have never had a problem with it before this. It made a grrrrrrr sound for about 5 seconds then nothing. Now when I try it is just dead nothing, no sound at all. I still have all my lights, door bell, control lights light up, but just dead silence when I turn the key. Can anyone tell me the mostly likely probable cause? It is a 94 SL2 standard, I can push it to get it started that is how I was able to get it home. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
Lorrie

Check all the obvious first, starting with the battery. Have the battery tested to see if it's holding a charge. It might have enough juice to still give you some lights, etc, but not enough amps to turn the car over. If battery checks out good, check the alternator to see if it's charging the battery. If that checks out, then check the notorius starter issue (as I had that exact model, and went through 3 starters on it in it's 200K mile life and were known to go bad)..

Good luck!

Reply to
IYM

Thanks, I think it is the starter. The battery seems fine, the lights are strong, the windshield wipers strong, checked all the cables. I have had to put a starter on the car about 2 years ago. This time I am going to a junk yard and get one for $50 rather than a new one for $250. The price difference I would rather take my chances, I'll probably get at least 2 years out of a used one.

Reply to
Lorrie

Real simple and easy way to tell before trowing money and time around - Try jumping the car first, then you'll get an idea. If it still won't turn over with a jump on it, you can be a bit more confident that it's the starter....

Reply to
IYM

You need a certain voltage for the starter to properly work. The relay, or maybe the solinold not working won't engaget the starting motor.

I would suggest you get a voltage off the battery. Don't be surrprised if the batter is low, and you might have address the real problem, old battery, or bad charging system.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great

The starter draws much more current than any other electrical device on the car. It requires clean and tight connections at the battery post. Many times the connections get oxidized and become resistive preventing the starter from getting enough current. This usually will not affect the other devices (wipers, lights, radio, etc.) noticeably.

Before you do anything else, remove and clean the connections with a battery connector brush. If this does nothing, then make sure the connections to the starter are also tight and clean as well. The battery voltage should be greater than 12 volts (13.8V is nominal with alternator charging it).

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Remember that a starter takes tons more current than anything else in the car. It can still be your battery. If the battery is good, don't spend money on a starter yet, check to make certain you have good electrical connections at the battery, chassis ground and starter positive (no corrosion and not loose) that could easily be a free fix for you. I never spend money "shotgunning" problems anymore, I work too hard for it!!! Good luck, Dave

Reply to
nospam