95 SL2 Starter??

The starter went on my 95 SL2. On replacement this will be the third starter I put on the car, that makes 4 starters including the original. Is the starter a common problem? If so, is there particular years/makes that have the problem?

Reply to
Shep

No.

I've got a 1994 SC2 w/ 142k and a 1992 SC w/ 140k - both on original starter.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

The starter on my 92 SC was still working strong at 185k. I traded it in 3 weeks ago for a black 06 VUE Redline.

After 14 years of faithful service I felt like I was losing a member of the family. I did replace several alternators and batteries in the 14 years I owned the SC.

Lane wrote:

Reply to
Bobbyp

I have had a 96 SL2(earlest I had), so I can only guess, but I've never heard about a starter problem.

However, I've heard reguardless of make or model, how you start the car, can really degrade your starters life. My wifey would crank for a long time one of her cars(it seemed to have a few false starts now and then) and it became a habit to replace her car's starter every few years.

Do you think you crank too long? Is the car differcult to start? My

97SL2 had a faulty fuel pump for years, causing it to fail to start till a second/third crank. So we were wearing the starter out, 2-3 times faster than it should be.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Reply to