Code P1133 on 2000 Saturn SL

Hi

I have a 2000 Saturn SL with a high idle problem and a constantly lit 'check engine light'. It only does the high idle intermitantly, when the engine is warmed up. Sitting at a stop light, while in neutral, the RPM may shoot up to 2000+. It will idle correctly, at around 800 RPM or so, after shutting the engine off, then restarting it.

Since the 'check engine soon' light is on, I took it to Advance Auto and had them do an OBDII scan on the PCM. The code returned was:

P1133 Manfacurer Contrl. Fuel Air Metering

(those are not typos, that's what it spit out)

My Haynes manual doesn't say anything about P1133, but a Google search for P1133 comes up with:

P1133 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1

This short message thread,

talks about the sensor and some of the conditions that may cause P1133 to be set. Thanks in advance Ed

Reply to
Edward Crismond

hey ed, how are ya?

i dont know why there is a similaritry in problems with your 2000 and my

92 but there is. i have also had high idle problems, and exactly the ones you are explaining. i cant help you with the code, im not familliar with that readout but i may know some tricks to possibly deal with it.

the easiest thing to do, and is what worked for me, is to try and turn off anything electric in the car that run off of the alternator. if you have say, the AC, on it tries to run the alternator/AC compressor right away and for some reason the car idles high at first and then at random times. this is the easiest thing to try and is basically the same thing you do when your PC crashes, when it isnt working right, restart it and it works alot of things out. the next thing to do if you think that the problem may be worse than this is to find a trusded expert automotive opinion cause the things that u should check and possibly replace (not saying you have to at all) can get expensive and techinical. the first thing is the check engine light, thats usless to go by cause there are sooooooo many things that cause it to light up. Mines always on, but his is because i replaced the intake in the car and removed a sensor, so the first thing you should do is just check all the wire harneses under the hood that connect to any sensors that connect to "things" like the injectors, intake, throttle body, etc. cause thats where your problem seems to be. next go to that mechanic you can trust and ask him to check the solinoids that could be the cause of the readout (a mechanic should know what to do with that). personally if you got a read out that something was wrong with the air-fuel and switching bank and sensor, it sounds like a bad solinoid that cannot be controlled correctly by the computer (aka broken). check it out and post back, im curious to hear the outcome.

good lucks joe

Reply to
150hpSL1992