Saturn sl

I have oil in my cooling system, and use a lot of oilin my engine. There is no water in the engine oil.

Reply to
koos1

Is the car blue or green?

Reply to
blah blah

"koos1" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

I'm guessing you have a '95 or '96. There was a known casting flaw in those engines. 1 of the 3 I work on suffered from it. You'll need a new head.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Then you must also be guessing he has a SL1 SOHC? I hate it when people make vague post. I dont like answering them until they post some useful details.

Reply to
blah blah

New head, new water pump, and all new rubber coolant hoses too if the head is cracked.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

blah blah typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

The poster stated they had an SL, which has the SOHC motor.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

"Bob Shuman" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

I agree about the new hoses, and I'd add a new thermostat. But if you follow the FSM engine flush procedure, I see no need for a new water pump. At least, I didn't replace the pump on the one I did, and 30k miles later, it's still running like a champ.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Yes, on the T-Stat ... forgot that. On the water pump, if you have some miles on the vehicle it is just easier to do it now while it is all apart. If you don't you may be doing one within the next year and labor will be minimal since you are in there now anyway.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

"Bob Shuman" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

I had just done the pump a year before, so I skipped it. I agree with the "since you've got it that far apart you might as well..." While doing the head, I'd go ahead & replace the timing chain, and possibly the oil pump.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

SL means nothing to me. He might as well have said S-series! Just so you know, the S-series came with two engines and one was for S_1's and the other was for S_2's. (L,C, or W) Oh and one has had casting flaws and the other never did. So it would be nice to establish what someone has before sending them in the wrong direction...

Reply to
blah blah

SL does mean something to Saturn, who sold a car by the name of SL, in addition to the six you mentioned. As has been mentioned, it had the same engine as the SL1

Reply to
Ratbert

blah blah typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

The SL was the bare bones, few options version of the SL1. Manual steering, 5-speed only, no right side mirror (was an option), front speakers only, etc.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Sorry I haven't replied earlier were ot of town. No the car is not a 95-96 but a 98. sl is the bottom of the line saturn in other words the cheapest. FIve speed standard transmission. Someone tokd me that the oil cooling lines in the radiator could be leaking what do you think.

Reply to
koos1

"koos1" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Well, there are no oil cooling lines in the radiator, so I doubt that's it. The automatics have tranny cooler lines, but there are not in the 5-speeds.

I'd do a compression test, and see if you have a bad head gasket.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

thanks ill try that

Reply to