failed emission smog test saturn

1993 Saturn SW2 at 207k

I am the kind of guy that likes to do things himself.

Two years ago after failing Illinois emission testing, I welded in a new after market catalytic converter for a total cost of $56. The old was was probably original and the ceramic was choked with black hard glazed on coating of crud. Not surprising since the car was run many miles with a burned exhaust valve and after rebuilding the engine had unwittingly switched the oxygen sensor and air conditioning clutch plugs which made the car run so rich that at times the exhaust had a black cloud. After a few thousand miles of trips to Minneapolis and back, I diagnosed my error. Needless to say the first emission test was off scale. The car finally squeaked by.

Last August I received the emission test notice. I mixed a 50-50 mixture of E85 ethanol and gas and drove an hour on the tollway. Supremely confident in my ability to oxidize the fuel, I was dismayed when the car fail hydrocarbons. Carbon monoxide was acceptable. A month later with regular fuel and a 15 minute drive the car failed both HC and CO with readings twice as high. In December with the sawzall, I cut out the converter and replaced it with a fresh one from Farm and Fleet. It didn't look bad inside. An hour ride on the tollway and the test readings were essentially the same as the first test, failing on hydrocarbons.

My confidence in Saturn's ability to built as good a car as the Japanese was broken. I never had a emission problem with the old Honda. It was a _____ to replace struts on it though, as the bolt heads snap off and two hours each in drilling it out. Too bad it caught fire and burnt up. After an 8 hour drive to Minneapolis on the interstate, sometimes in the exit ramp I would see a wisp of oil smoke in back of the Saturn. When I replaced the exhaust manifold with factory headers, one port had an oily deposit. Auto Machine Inc. in St Charles did the valve job on the head. His original quote was $220, which I thought was high. The last time I did a valve job, it was $50 on a 72 Datsun 1200. Times had changed. When I went to pick up the head he told me it was $420 because it took longer than he thought. If there had been any Saturns in the junk yard I would have let him keep the head. There were stacks of dusty heads in the shop, so this must have been a regular occurrence. I was in a bind, so I argued from the point that I was not my fault that he did not have the proper tools to do the job. The price was $330. Anyway I think he left out one valve stem seal and that is the cause of all my trouble. I changed the oil with 20w-50. I plugged the air inlet to the crank case, causing the PVC to pump a vacuum and suck back in any oil dripping down the valve guide. Yesterday The car passed after a 45 minute drive, with 2.24 times lees HC than the best previous test. The moral of the story:

SATURN OWNERS: CHANGE YOUR OIL AND DRIVE AN HOUR BEFORE EMISSION TESTING.

Oil aborbes hydrocarbons in the engine and the tiny droplets release them when heated by exhaust gases, which then are tallied as a no-go.

Test results reading/standard

Date HC CO

04/20/04 .082/.129 .776/.837 (g) pass 12/22/03 1.99/.80 10.4/15.0 (gpm) fail 12/20/03 1.13/.80 11.5/15.0 (gpm) fail 09/09/03 2.55/.80 22.0/15.0 (gpm) fail 08/30/03 1.44/.80 11.8/15.0 (gpm) fail 12/28/01 0.368/0.706 5.288/5.702 (g) pass

Copywrite 2004 by Hardway Tony

Reply to
Hardway Tony
207K Miles? Not surprising you'd have trouble passing emissions, especially since your description would indicate a car that hasn't been serviced properly. How about letting the service department at your dealer have a look at it? Then at least you know that the mechanic doing the work will have the proper tools and experience.

Hardway T> 1993 Saturn SW2 at 207k

Reply to
Markwalt

At least the Saturn didn't burn up........

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Do they exceed EPA emissions when they do? :)

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

LOL good question......probably would pass emissions if you put the sensor in the exhaust pipe :)

Reply to
BANDIT2941

It's about the only non plastic thing on a Saturn :P I'm still thinking, when this thing finally dies (which, being a GM car, means it'll die when the body rots away. Being plastic, this will take forever), towing it to my friend's nice big 'property' finding a quiet corner, and burning it down as an offering to the automotive gods....

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Good excuse to drink beer :)

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Only I don't drink beer. And I have a Harley. Which makes it doubly weird, as I'm about the ONLY Harley rider I know who doesn't get magically drawn to beer. All my friends do and it's &^%& annoying...

But yeah, cool explosions are....cool. We figure there's a lot of potential here, but a remote initiator system will be needed so we can detenate it in the valley and watch it from the deck.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Interesting. A rare breed indeed...... :)

uh huh huh, explosions are cool, yeah yeah......... :)

Fill that b*tch up with gas and let 'er rip!

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I guzzle cherry/regular coke like crazy.

Anyway, they all hate me cause my bike's faster than theirs >:)

(95 inch motor, worked heads, cam, S&S, and all. I've embarressed a few bigger bikes with it...)

WE've got a few ideas that might be worth trying.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski