Failed Emission Test

Hi All, I took my 93 Corolla in for an inspection last week and it failed the emission test. The NOx levels both for high speed and low speed were high. I then took my car to a shop to get the catalytic converter replaced. However, when I went back to the inspection station to get it re-inspected yesterday, not only it still failed, but the failing levels were even higher than the first inspection. Can someone please tell me what the problem is?

Thanks, Kenny

Reply to
kenny_frohlich

================ Check the EGR vavle.

Reply to
nospampls2002

================ Check the EGR valve.

Reply to
nospampls2002

What are the other readings for the emissions tests, ie., Hc, CO?

I would check EGR and MAP sensor operation, depending on the results of the test.

Reply to
Ray O

High NOx levels are also caused by high combustion temps. Things like high coolant temp, a really lean air/fuel ratio (manifold system leaks), O2 sensor improper operation, EGR system problems (VSV, modulator, hoses), improper timing and spark advance.

Reply to
toyomoho

Ray, Other readings are passing and they are: HC: 22 CO: 00 CO2: 13.5 O2: 1.3 Dillution: 13.5

By the way, I know the EGR valve looks like a flying sauce thing, but I can not seem to locate it under the hood. Can you please tell me where I can find it (This is a 93 Corolla)?

Thanks, Kenny

Reply to
kenny_frohlich

This California Smog Check web site lists common causes for emissions failures:

A lean mixture could be due to a bad O2 sensor or clogged injectors. Check ignition timing to make sure it is not too advanced (are you getting any knocking/pinging on acceleration?)

Not all vehicles have an EGR valve. I don't recall if yours does nor not. The EGR valve is generally located near the intake manifold with a pipe leading to the exhaust manifold.

Reply to
Ray O

If you have a 49 state version you need to find a California model first. Then it should be easy to find. :-)

Reply to
someone