Help - Failed California Smog Test

I recently moved to California and as a result had to have the car smogged to get it registered. Anyways, I should have had a pre-test smog check done but I didn't know and I had it tested and it failed the nitrous oxide part of the test and now is labeled a gross polluter. All that was wrong was the the EGR valve was not working. But the problem now is that the car is labeled a gross polluter. It sounds like a minor problem has turned into a major problem. It looks like now that the car is in the California system as a gross polluter, it will have to be tested every year from now on and at only at test only stations which charge a lot more. I am now leaning on the possibility of just keeping my Washington state license and keeping the car registered in Washington. My Washington state license doens't expire for another 3 years so maybe by then, I can have the car tested again and they will have forgot that the car failed. Since I have not registered the car in California, how long will the gross polluter label stay in the California DMV computer? I just wish I could just have the car retested because I know it will pass now.

Reply to
Ed100mph

Approximately 8/5/03 21:05, Ed100mph uttered for posterity:

Folks have been known to keep out of state registrations in California for a variety of reasons.

As for the gross polluter status sticking around, you can check the CA DMV website for whether it goes away. They also have a petition procedure which might help if you can get it to pass at one of the state test only stations. Rotsa Ruck.

You can't sell the vehicle if it is in gross polluter status, correction, you can't sell it in California. However you can donate it and take a tax deduction for fair market value with the note that the IRS does not employ mechanics.

Reply to
Lon Stowell