Fat Idle too Fast, 3kRPM's

My GF's 1998 Saturn SW1 needs the fast idle adjusted, when cold, it revs up to as high as 3,000 RPM'S Way too high. After about 30-45 seconds of warm up, It slows down to a normal 800 RPM or so. Are there any specific steps I need to know? if not, where would I find the adjustment screw? I want to make sure I do this by the book. It has 50,000 Miles and the only maintenance I know of is the serpentine belt change. So IM assuming the plugs and other tune-up items haven't been changed

Ill be doing a tune up on it in the next few weeks. Plugs & Wire set Rotor (assuming it's NOT distributor-less) Gas filter Air Filter Radiator Flush Transmission/Transaxle flush (Or is this FWD tranny sealed? requiring no maintenance?) Any other maint. tips?

sorry, this car is new to me... lol :) Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Reply to
dm

No real adjustment, there's a funky proceedure to do it. remember, like lots of recent cars - idle is computer controlled. Either the computer WANTS it high, or the idle air control won't close enough to drop it.

Look for:

Vacuum leaks. Messed up IAC (clean the trottle body, and remove and clean the IAC and it's crevice). Bad sensor.

The temp sensors are possible suspects here - $10 - 15 at any decent auto parts place.

Good.

Rotor? What's a rotor? :) It's typical 80's / 90's GM distibutorless fun...

Good.

Good.

Fun! :)

Oh no, it's not sealed. I think the filter's a spin on type.

Umm, oil and filter? :)

Oh yeah, check the typical fluids, brake fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid ;)

Have fun!

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

fantastic! I love NG's If Im not mistaken, I think the first car to go distributorless was the GM, Buick Regal......Cool...... 80--something...

a transaxle with a fluid filter? whoa... woo-hoo----anyway, im still stuck in the 80's (excuse me while I turn down my Metalica disc, Vinyl that is ;)

Ill try these out as you suggested.

ummmm, would that be DOT 3 blinker fluid? lol :)))

THANKS!! Dave

Reply to
dm

Actually, IMHO, it can't hurt to change the stuff out. I don't really trust that 'sealed for life' stuff anyway...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski