S10-2.5L Idle too fast

Dear engine experts.

I have a problem with the idle on my 2.5Lfuel injected 1988 S10 manual trans. I have replaced the idle control valve, the mapp sensor, checked for vacuum leaks. I have replaced the intake manifold gasket the erg valve gasket and the throttle body gasket, I still can't get the idle speed down it's about 1800, and replacing the gaskets did not change the idle speed. I sprayed water and carb cleaner all over the place looking for leaks. I have had all the hoses off and examined them, I have plugged hoses one at a time. The computer says Idle air control is bad, I replaced it shut. I let it close and unplugged it and idle speed did not change. There is light showing around the butterfly of the throttle body but it appears closed I have not pulled the plug and tried to adjust it more closed.

Help me please, I am at witts end and I can't afford to get a dealer to fix it. The computer controls the mixture ok but it will not pass emissions with the idle speed this fast. If I had money I wouldn't be driving this rust bucket. Otherwise the truck runs good and doesn't burn oil and it's my only vehicle.

John

Reply to
John W

[...]

John,

A few possibilities:

1) Fuel pressure regulator inside the throttle body is shot 2) Coolant temp sensor is shot 3) New IAC is shot (I've seen it before, just canuse it's nw don't mean it works!)

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"