Ion3 - Winter Tires

Hey all,

I am looking for winter tires for my Ion3 QC 5speed. I've driven two Canadian Winters with the stock 16" rim/tire. It's horrible. I picked up four 15" winter rims, now all I need is the rubber. The tire size for the 15" is 195/60R/15. I've got the following quotes so far:

Saturn Dealership Firestone Winter Force $80ea (all prices CDN$) Hancook Ice Bear $98.75ea

Wal-Mart Wintermark Magna Grip HT Winter Radial $78.98 Dunlop Graspic DS-1 Witer Tire - Ice Radial $98.98

Kal-Tire Nokian RSI 92R $131.48

The Nokians sound good, but more than I want to spend. I guess I am looking between $80-$100. I've read some reviews on the net - does anyone have any opinions on these tires? I have a body kit on my car, but there is still some decent clearance I guess. I am looking for good traction in deep snow and a good tread life.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Jon

I have the same car, I am getting Copper Weather Masters but the 195 70R

14's. Someone is giving me some free steel wheels. Make sure you check with the tire guys to see that the outside diameter of your snow tires is the same as your regular tires. In my case the difference is 1/10 of 1 inch. And if you can get a narrower profile if you can. This is what I was told: Bridgestone Blizzak and Michelin X-Ice are super on ice by since they have a softer rubber only have a 15k-20k miles wearout. $109.00 Cooper Weather Master wear longer 25-30k miles but are not quite as good with ice. $69.00 (if it is that Icy I am not going) Mastercraft Glacier Grip is similar to the Cooper (same manufacture? but generic) $65.00 20-30k miles. Supposedly Consumer Reports rated but could not verify the info.

That is from my research anyway.

Reply to
Gary