Put them on all four I believe in Nova Scotia it is the LAW. Snows front only on a FWD is dangerous.

(from southern Ontario Snow Belt, where we get enough snow.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

you should have snow tires on all 4 wheels.The tires are used for braking also not just traction for driving.

Reply to
jed

So, let me get this straight... You live in Eastern Canada, and you've never used winter tires, *AND* you have to ask if they're supposed to go on all 4 wheels...?

Wow. Almost beyond belief, really.

Reply to
Dan C

How so? I use all-seasons exclusively and have never considered using what I would consider to be "snow" tires with their very aggressive tread.

The OP didn't say "winter tires"....he said "snow tires".

Reply to
cavedweller

Yeah, you wouldn't want to have *too much* traction or anything...

If what you say is true, you either don't live where it *really* is winter, or you're stupid. I dunno which it is.

Same thing.

Reply to
Dan C

Until you have driven with REAL Ice and Snow tires - the ones with the snowy mountain logo stamped on them, you don't understand how much difference there REALLY is. I will never again depend on "no season" tires for winter driving, and a good touring tire makes a much better summer tire than any "no season" tire I've ever driven on. Yes, I made do with the so-called "all season" tires for quite a few years.I have a wife and 2 daughters that drive, and I said "enough" and bit the bullet for a spare set of rims for each car and bought the best ice and snow tires I could afford for all of our vehicles. (not the most expensive availble, but not Chinese crap either - I'm running Dunlop Graspics on the TransSport, the Mystique, and the Neon. Fifth season on the TransSport. Might get another good season out of them yet. They are standing up better than the Blizzaks we had on the daughter's old car.

For the summer I'f put on good touring tires - BF Goodrich and Kelly on the cars and Goodyear on the van. They were not cheap (about $135 each) but I'm not complaining. Then I bought

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

PPffftttt.

Reply to
cavedweller

I apologize. When the OP spoke of the "old days" my mind immediately went to the "knobbies" that we used to put on each winter to permit simply getting around. To me, those are what the expression "snow" tires conjures up.

I'm so terribly sorry that I prompted the exasperation evident in your response. I asked a question, you dump. Nice.

I guess I'll just have to let where I live, or my level of intelligence, remain a mystery. Your perception of either will, however, be wrong.

Reply to
cavedweller

When front wheel drive was less common and starting to catch on, it was considered wise to put the same winter traction tires on the rear as the front. The reasoning was that when you're going around a corner/turn, the rear can slide out on a FWD vehicle. Lose the rear end like that and it won't matter much what you've mounted on the front. Your best bet is to buy a spare set of rims and 4 snow tires; swap mounted tires with the change in seasons.

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Still considered wise.

Reply to