Winter Tires

My mother has a 2001 Forrester S with 16" rims/tires on it. P215 60R16. Looking to put some winter rubber on it, and want to go with a 15" rim and a higher profile/narrower width tire. Question is, what size would she use for a 15" rim?

and as a side note.... 60,000 KMs and a sticky front left brake calliper. I have a '98 Outback 80,000 KMs and front right calliper is sticking to the point it wore out new pads. Had to replace it. Is this something that seems to be a trait with Subaru or do we have two unlucky ones? both previous Honda Accord owners and there were common glitches between those two model years (Ball Joints and fuel lines)

Thanks....

Reply to
Supertaster

First, make sure that you CAN use a 15" wheel. If it came from the factory with 16" wheels, the brakes may be bigger than those that came with 15" wheels, and you may not be able to fit the 15" wheels on your mother's car. IF you can fit 15" wheels without problem, a 205/70R15 would probably be about the right size

Reply to
someone

Stock Forester is 205-70-15 on steel wheels. We put a set of the new Kumho I-Zen winter tires (studded) on my wifes '02 Forester last winter. They work great. The 4 tires, studded, mounted and balanced on new (ugly, but who cares) steel wheels, and shipped, were well under $500 from Tirerack. Hard to beat that deal.

I think it's common to many cars equipped with floating calipers. Mud/dirt accumulation around the caliper posts can cause this, as will corrosion from salt on the roads or whatever. Make it a habit to spritz the calipers when you wash the car, and take the wheels off once a year or so for a detailed cleaning/inspection. If nothing else, you'll catch it before it eats your pads and rotors.

ByeBye! S.