What Anti-Freeze?

I'm running low on anti-freeze in my 1995 SL. Now... The big question is why... But the immediate question is what type to use... Anything special I need to know before I run off to the auto parts store?

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

look what is in it first.. green or orange and put the same back in DO NOT MIX green and orange.

Reply to
p_vouers

What does the car spec out? is it the green or amber stuff? Don't switch or mix types.

If you don't see any leaks, it may be leaking into the engine. Check your oil cap for signs of water in the oil. Also check the exhaust for white smoke or a sweet smell (antifreeze). Depending on where the leak is, you might get by with a can of stop leak. This can sometimes cause more problems than it fixes so be advised...

Reply to
Oppie

It has green... But I thought there were different grades of green for aluminum and non-aluminum heads, etc.

Ah... Clean as a whistle... I always look for the "Froth" befoer buying a used car or motorcycle.

None. But it could be a very small leak that takes a year or more to accumulate into a loss. I lose a 1/2 quart of oil every 2nd or 3rd tank of gas - but that is supposed to be attributed to sticking rings. No treatment found online or in the stores (including ehre) has ever fixed that for me.

...Or I can just keep adding fluid. :)

Reply to
Joe

Buy a gallon at a local Saturn dealer to make sure you are correct since Saturn is funny about specifying a Phosphate free "green" (regular Ethylene Glycol) mix.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

You may just have a bad radiator pressure cap. The spring in mine wore out and it would let the coolant out at very low pressures. They are mechanical and the springs get weak, and it is at least cheap to try.

Warning! I had a truck with a 4 LB pressure cap on it. I put the right one on and found out why. Two days later the radiator blew out. Now I know to look for that anyway.

Reply to
Gary

Radiator may be expensive to repair but not nearly as bad as replacing the heater core. did a few myself and took all day to rip out the dash and remove heater box. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie