Suggested repairs

Since my '99 SL2 has been going strong for 6 years with no major problems (2 sets of front discs, 1 set of rear drums, 2 sets of motor mounts, 4 tires) and I'm about to hit 100k this week, I took it into the dealership to get a once over to see what they thought I needed. Since I haven't had to do much to this car, I was wondering what was real, what was possible to do myself, and what was dealer profit.

Suggested repairs:

1) Fuel Filter 2) Wire set (spark plug wires?) 3) Serpentine belt 4) T/A mount (I think they want to replace the motor mounts again, how critical is it if the motor mounts are worn?) 5) Throttle body and decarbonization service (pure profit???) 6) Power steering flush 7) 30k service (coolant flush, oil change, transmission fluid change, tire rotation & balance, spark plugs)

I feel pretty confident that I could tackle the spark plugs and wires (if I had to). Not really willing to change the automatic transaxle fluid (I don't want the mess.) Dealer wants to charge $1089 for the whole mess.

Any ideas?

Girmann

Reply to
Girmann

Big time rip-off. Do you want to "flush" you hard earned money down your dealers ..... Change your fuel filter (expensive every 100K) your fluids, filters, and spark plugs if you haven't already. Tranny drains just like the motor and the filter is under the air box. If your willing to get you hands a little dirty you can save yourself $800.00. but if your money grows on trees go for it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

As Steve says, the trasnmission fluid is a cinch. It's much easier than the oil and filter on this car.

The torque axis mount (which you've already had done) may need to be done again. You will notice a big difference if it is indeed bad. You can do it with a jack and a deep socket (I forget the size).

The serpentine belt is simple. All you need is a socket handle (no sockets).

Throttle body cleaning is probably a good idea, but you can do that yourself in ten minutes for the price of a can of cleaner.

Spark plugs are trivial, especially if you're already replacing the wires.

I've never done a power steering flush. I wonder if that's recommended in the owner's manual. If not, I'd skip it.

Coolant flush & oil change aren't that hard if you have the stuff to do it.

Same with tire rotation.

I've never done the fuel filter, as it's a pricey item. Last time I asked the guys at the Saturn dealer, they said it wasn't something that normally needed changing on this car.

Reply to
Ratbert