98 Frontier 4WD: Humming noise when depressing clutch

My 98 Nissan Frontier 4WD: When I depress the clutch it makes a humming noise. Does not seem matter whether the truck is moving or not. It started suddenly today after not having driven the truck for 10 days. The somewhat odd thing is that the amount of pressure that I have to apply in order to hear the noise varies. Sometimes as soon as I apply pressure to the clutch I hear the noise and then perhaps as I continue depressing it all the way the noise goes away. Sometimes I start depressing the clutch and there is no noise until the clutch is fully depressed. Other times I can depress all the way without hearing any noise.

Any idea what may be the cause?

Reply to
ThomasE

Throwout bearing most likely.

Reply to
JimV

I assume replacing it would require removing the transmission?

Reply to
ThomasE

Unfortunately

Reply to
JimV

The good news is that it's not something that needs to be fixed immediately. And I've had a couple that made noise for a bit, then quit and were fine for years.

If you do fix it, think about replacing the clutch plate and pilot bearing, The work is pulling the tranny.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Thanks for the advice. Indeed there was no noise today. I must have driven about 20 min in town and the noise never showed up. Perhaps I'll wait on fixing it for now, at 75K mostly freeway miles it would be a pitty if I had to remove the transmission because the clutch is probably otherwise in good shape.

Reply to
ThomasE

The clutch noise seems to have dissapeared (for now) so it did it only that one day and has been normal ever since !?!

Reply to
ThomasE