59 Lark interior paint codes

Does anyone know where I can find the paint codes for the interior window and dash parts? The exterior is Tahiti Coral and the interior is a "Chocolate Brown" color. Did Studebaker record those somewhere? I want to take it to my local friendly local auto paint suppler.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
bob m

The old paint formulas and codes are meaningless to the new paint suppliers.. All the pigments have been changed, so even if you had an original code, or even paint formula... they CANNOT MIX IT!

IF you have a good automotive paint-store, they can create a modern formula for any color you want. Just take them a nice clean original piece and have them match it. I have made my own formulas just mixing spare paint out of my paint cabinet- not even using codes, or formulas or pigments. (Engine silver, the orangey-red for '61 valve covers, wheel colors etc... )

Note to them that the colors are not GLOSSY- this is to prevent reflection/glare from the parts interfering with your sight while driving.

Ray

bob m wrote:

Reply to
Studeman

June 1996 Turning Wheels has a '59 Lark article with the interior color codes listed. Service Bulletin #347 (May 1959) has the codes and mixing formulas listed, but in most cases these won't do you any good at the paint store anyway. I don't see any browns or tans listed for 1959, but there is a listing for 1960.

Reply to
Dwain G.

Thanks Ray, I have a nice glove box door that has been off the car for some time that they can mix.

Work is starting and want to have all my ducks in a row so as to start quickly and hopefully finish quickly

Bob

Reply to
bob m

Some of the original colors are gloss enamel, and some are satin lacquer. They use the term 'wheelhouse lacquer' which is the satin finish applied around the window openings, top of dash, etc., or anywhere inside the cabin (wheelhouse) that a satin finish was specified. While I don't find a listing for brown or tan interior colors in 1959, I'm sure they had them.

Reply to
Dwain G.

Thanks Dwain, This is a Lark Regal Wagon, which is just enough different than the sedan regals. I know that the interior is all vinyl verses cloth on the seats on the sedan. The top of the dash is padded (was and will be again). The dash has a gloss to it but it seems the windows do not have a gloss. Then again, the car has been sitting for over 20 years. Now if I could only find some correct color rubber (light brown) for the back of the seat and the spare tire cover. This are plywood in construction, instead of metal like other wagons. I just want to do this car correct as I can.

Bob

Reply to
bob m

Not so much "gloss"... it should have a shine- but no depth to the paint. There should be no way to read a newspaper in the reflection. Many (gloss) enamels/laquers of the day- needed to be rubbed/buffed to attain depth. Shoot them on, and they are "glossy" but lack reflection. This is considered "semi-gloss" in today's vernacular. With the advent of BC/CC systems, it's possible to attain great depth in the paint- without the massive amount of work required for Laquer (as an example). Not many body-shops want to spend the time to spray 7-20 coats of laquer and watersand, rub, and buff between every coat. AND- not many customers are willing to pay for that effort.

To acheive a similar "glossy-ness" for these parts, I mix my (urethane)clear directly with the basecoat (about 35% clear- 65% basecoat).. This sprays really nice- and simulates the gloss of an older non-rubbed laquer finish.

Ray

Reply to
Studeman