Broken seat back--what could have happened?

I've got a problem with my 65 Cruiser. It has the split bench reclining from seat. About 2 weeks ago, I leaned back in the seat and it clicked back a notch, which made the seat lean back about 3 inches. I couldn't get it to stay in the upright position. I took the recliner mechanism apart and the teeth on the backing plate and the little slide gear were worn, but not broken. I replaced both pieces from NOS pieces from Sasco. I put the seat back together and problem seemed to be fixed. The next day while driving the car, I felt the seat back slowly let go and start leaning back again. I looked at the recliner, but that parts all okay. I can pull the seat back up into position, but nothing in the recliner moves. It's like the seat back is broken about 8 inches up from the recliner mechanism.

Has anybody seen anything like that? Is the seat back bolted together up there and did I lose a bolt, or is it really broken?

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm thinking I'll have to take it to an upholstery shop and have the seat back upholstery removed (I don't want to damage this), then get the back welded (if that's what happened).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

65 Cruiser
Mark Anderson

The only bolts in the seat back are what holds it to the base. The rest of it is welded. The backrest frame is one-inch round hollow tubing. I can't imagine it could 'break', unless it was totally rusted under that seatcover. I've seen a few really badly rusted seat frames, but nothing serious enough to compromise the structure, at least of the tubing.

I think it is possible that the two sections of the recliner mechanism are not seated as tightly together as possible - this would allow for separation and movement without severe damage to the teeth.

Mark Anders> I've got a problem with my 65 Cruiser. It has the split bench

Reply to
Judy Sauer

Reply to
Mark Anderson

It depends on whether the handle is in the up or down position. It won't necessarily feel like the recliner is moving, but 'up' should disengage the teeth and allow the seat to be adjusted. Down is supposed to lock the seat in place.

Mark Anders> This is not a rusty car by any stretch. But, I can hold the recliner

Reply to
Judy Sauer

Mark,

I think you are going to have to strip the covering off that seat. There could well be a broken weld in that seat frame. I have seen them break at welds before; it's a stress concentration. A good upholstery shop should be readily able to strip those seats and take care of the welding, or send it out to be welded.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Thanks for the reply. I took the car to an upholstery shop today and the guy showed me where the seat frame is broken right at the very bottom. It's actually the bar that runs horizontally across the back bottom of the seat back. Where it's welded to the upright bars, that weld has separated. He's going to pull the upholstery off the seat, weld the frame and put it all back together for $72.00

I'll let you know how it comes out.

seats and take

Reply to
Mark Anderson