Cosmoline??

do they still put Cosmoline (sp?) on imported cars? I have seen white plastic sheets on the top surfaces, but not the stuff they used to coat the cars with. I have some in strange spots that looks like it. The lug nuts are coated, and some on the brake calipers, a bunch around one of the hinges of the rear hatch, and drops here and there in different spots. I didn't think they still used it, but the locations it is on the car seem odd. or maybe just missed because hard to get it off them.

Vince F

Reply to
houndman

Don't know if it was ever used. Last time I saw any of the stuff was 40 years ago on the farm. Dad somewhere scored a 5 gallon can of the stuff. Thinking it was WWII surplus.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

I think they stopped 'packing' cars in Cosomline somewhere in the 80's. I know my '80 Corolla can Cosomlined, cause I spent a while removing it from where it wasn't supposed to be.

In '85, they either weren't using it or the detailing shop did a better job of removing it. When I was working for a Toyota dealer 2 years ago we had a jar marked "Cosmoline remover...DO NOT USE" so I know at least Toyota stopped using Cosmoline.

You can still find it. It's available on-line, and they still do use it for preserving guns. I know because I asked about it many months ago, thinking maybe Cosmoline would make a good anti-rust preservative for my shiny new Scion.

However, it seems Cosmoline 'melts' easily, and on hot summer days in the interior panels it seems like it would liquify and run to the bottom of the door or whatever. This is what I read on the 'net.

Find a nice, hidden spot in your backyard, get a heavy-duty sprayer and some Hydraulic oil, and spray away to your heart's content. Then find a nice, parched dirt road and make a couple passes down it, and you're ready for winter!

But you didn't hear it from me...

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, I didn't, actually, I heard it from an old-time mechanic who actually favored old engine oil for this job. Your addition/improvement is the run down the parched dirt road, but up here in western New York, our dirt roads aren't particularly parched. I've never tried this rustproofing method, although it does have a certain logical beauty to it.

Reply to
KLS

I remember living in upstate NY and all the rustproofing companies there were. Same in the Satellite Beach FL area (Atlantic Coast).

They all offered a warranty against (inside to out) rust through. The trouble was the small print in the warranty said they had the option of repairing the damage, or just refunding the cost of the rustproofing treatment. In almost all cases, it was cheaper to just refund the $$$. Besides they made it up in the initial cost of the rustproofing, and the "required" annual inspection. It left a lot of foks with rusted out vehicles, but I suppose in the 50-60-70's anything that helped was an improvement over factory.

Reply to
QX

The stuff on the calipers melted, and dripped onto the rims, getting brake dust in it. So are my rims Rust Proofed in the spots??))

VF

Reply to
houndman

Was Rusty Jones one of them? Jap dealers were putting in on/in All the cars, and charging 500$. I told one I didn't want it, and they said they couldn't take it off. Told them the name sounds like it Makes the cars rust.))

VF

Reply to
houndman

I used engine oil on a Toyota truck one time. Didn't help.

Someone later told me engine oil (used) has acids in it that actually make matrters worse. I think maybe this is why the frame I coated with old engine oil rotted through less than a year after being 'treated'!!!

Having trouble with parched dirt roads? I'm a bit east of Albany...and a bit east of Pittsfield, and in the last few months I have had NO PROBLEM finding parched dirt roads!!! The dust is so fine it even sneaks past the door gaskets!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! That is was!

Actually, it depended a lot on the installer. If the guy took his time and used the right amount of stuff, then you could get good results. Problem was, most of them slapped the crap on as fast as they could. My Mom has an '86 Camry that was Rusty Jones'ed, and it looks great (um, it also has

86,000 miles on it and has been garaged all it's life...)

But, I have an '88 Supra that was originally sold in Toronto, and was Rusty'ed, and is JUST starting to get some spots now.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yes, they were. Dealers loved the franchise because cost was minimal, and they charged hundreds. They filed chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1988. Ziebart was another, but they are still around. Interesting to note that Ziebart has co-branding agreements with Rhino Liners and Speedy Auto Glass.

Reply to
QX