Forester Repair/Shop Manual

I have a problem with my wife's 2001 Forester. In the last couple of weeks the ECU has turned on the 'Check Engine' light. The first time the gas cap was loose (found that 'fix' in the owner's manual), and the second time I had someone connect a scan tool and it came up with a bad knock sensor.

This has been intermittent over the last several days, and I'm tired of the nagging. What I need is a repair manual so I can figure out what is happening.

BTW: I do my own wrenching on Porsche 944/951, so just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Reply to
BoostHead

Edward Hayes

First off you can't assume what the code is based on what it was the last time. Could be the same, or could be something different. There are literally hundreds of codes that can possibly be set. So, you'll need to get it scanned again. If the same person can't do it for you, Autozone will do it for free. Just be sure they give you the actual code(s) that are read, in Pxxxx format, so you can access the related information and troubleshoot properly. If you plan to work on your own car frequently, and any other late model ones you own as well, you may want to consider buying your own OBDII scanner. They are extremely valuable to have around for situations like this. I'm personally a fan of the AutoXray units, which you can check out at

As for a manual, you can go to the Subaru tech website,
, and sign up for asubscription for $34.95. This will give you 72 hours to download asmuch of the manual as you need. It's broken up into individual pdffiles and there is a 20 file per hour limit, so it's a bit of work,but well worth it considering that the print copies of the manuals arehundreds of $.

Reply to
mulder

Over on eBay, you can buy soft copies of the Forester manual on CDs, for maybe around $10 or so. I can not attest to whether or not these are the true official repair manuals that they claim to be. Most seem to come from Canada.

Reply to
ruzicka