2001 Forester

Dealer told me that rear differential cover was wet. It's 2001 Forester with

95K miles? How serious could it be?

Thanks, Boris

Reply to
boris

Wet with what?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

If that's ALL they said, get a different mechanic.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Hi

To have a dealer talk that kind of B.S. is very serious indeed, taking your car somewhere else would be a good next step.

Marcus

Reply to
Illuminated

Thanks to everyone that responded. I called the shop today - asked for details. They told me there's an oil leak somewhere in (or around) the rear differential. They told me to make an appointment for free evaluation.

Boris

Reply to
boris

The rear differential will frequently "weep" gear lube. This manifests as a dirty/oily coating on the diff, particularly around the input and output shaft(s), and is not necessarily of immediate concern, tho you _will_ want to keep an eye on the fluid level. Or simply drain and refill the diff periodically.

If the diff case is literally wet with fluid, the leak has become serious, and should be corrected.

Most likely culprits are the seals, but could be the cover gasket or drain/fill plugs as well. Clean the diff well with solvent and watch to see where the fluid is coming from.

The output seals are (IIRC) in carriers bolted to the diff case externally, and are relatively easily replaced. Anything else will probably involve removing the diff for bench work. Might be quicker/easier in the long run to get a junkyard replacement, as installing an intact rear differential is relatively trivial.

ByeBye! S.

Be cautious, the dealers are hungry and some are not as honest as they should be.

Dave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

Be cautious, the dealers are hungry and some are not as honest as they should be.

Dave

Thanks for warning me. But it was my initiative: I called them and asked for details - only then did they tell me to make an appointment in a month (I just had an oil change several days ago).

Boris

Reply to
boris

Steve,

Thanks a lot for the info - it's good to know my options.

Boris

Reply to
boris

Sloppy workmanship.

Greasemonkey puts his finger in the diff to check the oil level, wipes his finger on the dif and replaces the plug. Then reports the oil on the dif and is going to charge you for an inspection.

Be very wary Will Robinson :>)

Reply to
bugalugs