Cup holder in 2001 Forester

Anyone with a more recent Forester care to tell me if Subaru figured out that putting a cup holder in top of the HVAC and radio face was a bad idea?

Also can they hold coffee cups yet, or do they not drink coffee in Japan?

Reply to
dnoyeB

So...this is a realy inportant life-or-death question or just a troll ????

Reply to
Bugalugs

Why would it be a troll? The dash cup holder on my '01 OBW was a joke.

The holder barely held 12 oz. cans and small plastic bottles. The the beverage was toward the full side, it spilled on the dash and radio face. The design of the holder prevented it from being used for anything else, like phones, PDA's, glasses...

Reply to
B a r r y

A few years ago, I had a fellow Forester owner tell me he preferred his Ford SUV because of the cup holders. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Reply to
Frank

Not really. My previous car was a Chevy Blazer, 95. They had cup holder in the floor console. it was solid and deep and it had opening on one side for the handle of a coffee cup. It has small circumference in the bottom (for paper fast-food type cups I assume) and larger circumference about an inch up for wider coffee cups. The whole thing was lined with a small rubber overlay that was removable that I could clean in the dishwasher. Coffee spilled daily.

This Forester cup holder is a joke. As said, it spills across the HVAC and radio faces which has CD and tape openings. Its flimsy as hell. It wont hold a thermos. It won't hold a coffee mug. its not 'removeable' for washing, and it was dirty when I bought it.

The car itself I like, but I'm just wondering WTH they were thinking with this "cup holder" and did they wake up yet?

And for Japanese, im just wondering if in their culture they dont drink morning beverages or maybe don't drink while they are driving?

Reply to
dnoyeB

Actually, my '98 Forester had holder as you describe but my '03 does not. There are 2 open holders in the center and 2 in the back. Never bothered me as I never drink coffee or anything else while driving. Only time I ever used was when I was out hunting and came back to car to have lunch. Noticed a lot of little improvements of my '03 vs the '98. Frank

Reply to
Frank

On the other hand, you could think of it this way: in the summer, you're running A/C. The A/C blows on the cup and keeps your cold drink cool.

In the winter, you're running heat. The heat blows on your drink and keeps it warm.

And my Impreza cup holders hold coffee cups just fine; or are you talking about those huge 40oz super-slurp big-gulp coffee barrels that some people like to lug around like some kind of safety blanket?

Reply to
k. ote

Honestly, though: do you want a fellow Subie owner who's willing to make a vehicle choice based on a gd cup-holder, ignoring the crappy roll-over stats, the terrible recall track-record, and the money-grubbing nature of domestic manufacturers..?

Let him take his life in his own hands over a cup-holder, and select himself right out of the gene pool.

Yikes.

Reply to
k. ote

My wife liked her honda accord alot because of the cup holders and mirrors. Until I bought her a WRX.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I know what you mean. Can't see or operate some HVAC or radio controls if you are using the holders. That and the weird location for a parking light switch, cruise switch on left dash and control on right steering column. One of the stranger interior configurations I have driven. I know the holders on the new style Foresters have been redesigned.

Reply to
calhoun

Our Ford had the CC button on the dash. I don't think that's unusual. My '06 WRX has the button on the 'end' of the CC stalk, much better.

The parking light switch is actually in 2 places. easy enough to ignore the one on top of the steering column. (I think its weird too, but evidently useful in the the European market.)

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

There's the real problem.

I'm not defending the placement of the Forester's cup holder, but if you're spilling coffee on a daily basis, then it's *your* habits that need to change.

...Ron

Reply to
Zuben el Genubi

Same thoughts here on those locations but we work around them.

We decided not to buy a Chrysler back in 1990 because it had NO cupholders. Instead, we acquired our first Subaru, a Legacy. In '95 we got an LSI wagon and in '01 we acquired our present Forester. We've been happy ever since that Chrysler had NO cupholder.

BoB

Reply to
BoB

Ashtrays OK ? ?

Reply to
Bugalugs

People laugh, but salespeople have told me that ergonomic features, like cup holders, really do move a lot of cars. My current manual-shift Toyota truck (with no real back seat ) has (5) cup holders and (5) door bins that'll hold 1 liter bottles, all accessible from the front seats. My manual-shift OBW had ONE real cup holder, and the crappy one in the dash.

Even back in the 70's, cup holders, change trays, pockets, and bins were a Japanese selling point. I remember the attention my parent's mid-70's Corolla got due to Toyota's thoughtful use of hollow spaces. Well into the 80's, many domestic cars still had inaccessible and unusable hollow spaces, with bins and trays only available as extra cost options, if at all.

I wonder how may OBW owners that guffaw at and downplay the crappy dashboard cup holder complaint are proud to brag about the organizer bin over the spare tire?

All Subie needed to do on mine, was incorporate some sort of netting or side rails into the flip out cup holder and it would have been great for sport glasses, phones, MP3 players, etc... They could have even sold an accessory that fit into it to make it more useful.

Now, don't get me going about Subaru's "glasses compartment", has anyone every tried to put anything besides old-fart reading glasses in it? "Sports" glasses don't fit, safety glasses don't fit, my flat templed aviation glasses don't fit...

Reply to
Bonehenge

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Even if they fit, here in Texas, they come outta there with a dull red glow in August!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

the first thing i noticed about my '02 legacy wagon were the dire warnings about "loose objects" and airbags. in the event of a crash, you don't want to encounter your "skinny, double latte mochaccino" travelling at airbag speeds. i suspect this limits the interior styling somewhat.

i also recall a news clip, from about the late '70s, where they showed a crash test of a ford mustang. the car did reasonably well in the crash, but it was considered dangerous because of the glove compartment.... it seems that the glovebox door had broken loose from the force of the impact, and DECAPITATED the passenger side test dummy!!! (and still had enough energy to exit through the rear window.)

so be careful what you wish for.....

....... tom klein

Reply to
tom klein

I purchased a '99 OBW and all the coffee cup holders where broken. I was able to fix the dashboard one and I'm really glad I replaced my radio with one that has a remote control, else I would have a hard time changing stations with a coffee there. But for sure the holders are very flimsy. I like the idea of the rear coffee holder but it was sort of broke and the first time my youngest used it and accidentally kicked it, which just destroyed it.

But I liked my OBW enough I purchased a '03 WRX wgn. The dashboard holder doesn't work very well and I can't easily use the center console because its too small for most travel mugs. Of course I spill lots of coffee but I just have to remember to put less in or corner a little slower till I've drunk most of the coffee.

Reply to
Theodrake

Heck, I tried that once in here in Michigan and burnt my hand trying to handle my sunglasses that had metal rims.

Reply to
Theodrake