High pitched noise

Just recently a high pitched is coming from the front of my 1992 legacy wagon. It seems to be coming from the area of the belts. Was wondering if it could be belts, a pulley, or maybe a water pump.

Reply to
apn68015

All good possibilities but I would also keep an eye on the alternator. Alternators tend to whine like this before completely failing.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Didja open the hood while the screetching is happening? You can certainly narrow it down to something external (pulley, alternator) or internal (water pump) by doing so....

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:48:10 -0700, against all advice, something compelled snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com, to say:

Yes, it could.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

I get the same sort of noise in my '92 legacy L sedan. It often occurs after startup or when I am using my power steering to make tight turns at low speed. I have not had any other issues that could be related to this, so I assume it's just the accessory belt or something.

It goes Scree-ee-ee-ee and then stops.

Reply to
Brian