High pitched whistle?

Hi All,

We were bundling along the motorway earlier (~70) and I became aware of a high pitched / whistle / scream / screech (with a slight chirrup) coming from the Meriva somewhere. Opening the drivers window confirmed that it was coming from us and probably the o/s as it got louder as vehicles went past us.

If we loaded the o/s (left hand bend / steering) the noise diminished and if we loaded the n/s it returned.

Applying the handbrake or braking didn't seem to affect the noise much or at all.

Dropping back to 50 mph for a while seemed to allow the noise to slowly fade then stop so it seems like a high-load / friction type issue?

I recently replaced the front disks and pads (probably 1,000 miles ago) but haven't checked the rears yet (but they looked ok and the recent MOT didn't mention low pads, as they had done previously on the fronts).

So, if it's not a dragging brake (when we stopped to check round the car it was on a very slight slope and releasing the handbrake had us rolling back easily, plus no one wheel was particularly hot ...), could it be a wheel bearing or what else (before I get it on my mates ramp)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If it came on suddenly then my money's on a stone caught in the caliper or disc shield.

Reply to
Scott M

take out the pads and remove the fraze round the edges.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I don't remember that it did, or just that I realised I could hear it.

It does sound like that sort of thing / noise.

The only thing have thought of since is something similar happened a few months back. Again, after a run at motorway speeds I noticed a vibration from what felt like the back of the car so again I slowed, then pulled over and stopped to check everything but with nothing found, carried on and it was ok for the rest of the journey (at similar speeds)?

I think I'll have to whip the rear wheels off any check everything anyway (and hope a stone falls out). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just the new ones, the rears or all of them?

As I have since mentioned to Scott, I think I sensed something

*similar* (but defoo not the same) a few months ago, also whilst traveling at motorway speeds for some time.

Would I be right to assume that if it can be rolled freely when stopped after these events it's not a brake dragging?

The only time I had similar (to the first instance) was when the front brake caliper started to hot seize on the Sierra (first vibration and then noticeable slowing / dragging and a very hot wheel).

We got it to an inlaws, called the AA for it to be recovered and went on our way in another car. When we got back that night the AA had been, driven it up the road and back and reported it as NFF. Had they driven it another mile they would have felt it seize up.

I think I'll check the rears out in any case as I haven't as yet.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Which if it did I didn't spot it. ;-(

What I did find though was the outer edges of the brake disk(s) was pretty rusty and so because it seemed like a good thing to do anyway, I changed the disks and pads.

While I was there I span both (rear) wheel hubs and both sides felt / sounded identical (pretty smooth and nearly silent).

So, I'm not sure this was the source of the vibration or whistle but it looked like it needed doing anyway and might actually make the handbrake work a bit better as well. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m