Japan Subaru headquarters contact

Hi,

I am looking for a address, phone numbers or other contact with Quality Assurance or Customer Service (or equivalent) departments in Subaru headquarters in Japan.

To make the long story short. After fighting with Subaru for more then two years I decided to file some kind of complain directly to Subaru headquarters in Japan. There is a problem with the manual transmission in my Outback 2002 purchased used from the Subaru dealer with 5K miles on it. When I change gears and engage/disengage the clutch the entire transmission shakes and gives quite loud squeaky sounds. It is under very gentle operations.

The car was services many many times at three different Subaru authorized dealerships under the supervision of the regional representative.

They change the clutch twice and at least two times ?repositioned? entire transmission. Other parts were changed too (some rubber gasket or something like that). There are also many minor issues they never been able to fix: wind noise, really squeaky accelerator and clutch, really squeaky windows operation in my wife's Impreza, they sold me wrong brake pads, during the breaks check up they overlooked destroyed wheel bearing just before 10k miles trip (what I told them) not to mention general ignorance. In other words enough is enough.

I have to admit they were cooperative byt very reluctant and typically after months of phone calls did that or this. That repeated a few times over a period of two years. But it does not change the fact that they totaly lack any effectiveness.

Interestingly the regional rep admitted several times that there is a something weird with the transmission.

I do not want to sue them at that point, but definitely have to do something about that. I thought contacting headwaters in Japan could be a good move for the beginning.

Please advice, Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andrzej Leszczynski

Do you speak/write good Japanese?

I just wonder how you intend to communicate with them.

Japanese in Japan don't do business in English.

I don't want to discourage you from making contact with Subaru Japan, just wanted to highlight a potential communication issue. It may lead to misunderstandings and subsequent legal liability implications - that's why foreign businesses prefer to rely on local representatives for resolution of problems in local languages.

MN

Reply to
MN

No :-).

I have planed to send it in both languages after the translation. My friend's wife is Japanese, so I would probably ask her. I also planed to make Cc: somewhere in US.

But in turn I wonder what liability implications do you think of?

A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

One suggestion: prepare written complaints against the dealers (not Subaru, because you won't get anywhere against Subaru corporate) to be filed with the Better Business Bureau, your State Attorney General's Consumer Protection/Fraud Dept and your District Atty's Consumer Protection/Fraud Dept. You'll have to get the proper forms from the AG's and Dist. Atty's offices (likely available on the internet). Send those prepared complaints to your dealers under a written cover letter explaining that you will be filing these complaints if they will not review/fix the identified problems w/ your car by a date certain. Send it by certified mail. To be very frank, if you're not willing to take these steps in writing, don't waste your time.

If the dealers don't respond, the BBB and attys will contact the dealers directly to try to work it out on your behalf. Good luck.

Reply to
lkreh

Try this first. Copy *all* your correspondence, place it in chronological order, write a polite but direct letter to the president of Subaru USA informing him of your problems and the lack of resolution and that the next step is to escalate the issue to Subaru Japan.

*Important* Send the package FedEx overnight.

I had a problem with a Japanese barcode printer I bought for my company. I spent 4 months working with the company's tech support and finally did exactly as I described. The problem was resolved within 24 hours of the president receiving my package.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hi Andy,

Try this:

Subaru is a division of Fuji Heavy Industries.

Good luck Emmy

Reply to
Emmy

You're letter would go on a wall for the employees to laugh at.

Reply to
Bryce

Why do you say that?

Have you been to Japan and worked inside Japanese companies?

I have. I spent 6 months in Tokyo working on a project with Hitachi. His letter will be discussed, pondered, and eventually acted upon, but it *won't* be laughed at.

Reply to
GrumpyOldGeek

Yes, I lived there for 8 years and worked inside Japanese companies for 7 of those 8 years... and I go back bi-yearly.

And it WILL be laughed at.

Reply to
Bryce

But you did not say why they would do that?

A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

A Japanese person within Japan sending a complaint to Fuji Industries regarding a child company within Japan isn't going to get very far.

Why would you think an American in America would have any influence? Because they are American??? You've got about as much sway as if you were South African.

I highly doubt that this person has exhausted domestic channels.

Now, if you want the "why". I'd suggest living over there for a little longer than 6 months to find out.

Reply to
Bryce

Yeah, my brother-in-law works for a major Japanese phone/scanner company and they always tell you 'gaijin' (sp?) just means foreigner. But, when he was joking around with some of them here in a US facility and called them 'gaijin' they didn't care for it AT ALL, even though my b-i-l pointed out to them that here, HE was the native and they were foreigners! Another time while driving his boss around, he put on his driving shades and the thought occured to him he never saw too many Japanese wearing sunglasses. He asked his boss why that was. His boss said; "We have superior eyes."

Carl

Bryce wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Gaijin just means 'foreign people' but is clearly in the offensive category. It's not quite the "N word" but heading in that direction. The current politically correct term is "gaikokujin" meaning 'foreign country people.'

It's partly based on biology--dark eye color is caused by pigment in the iris whereas blue eyes have a clear iris and the blue color is a shadow from the interior of the eye. Blue eyes let in vastly more light.

But yes, the Japanese are as arrogant as any culture in history. Island countries get that way.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Well Bryce, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have a higher regard for the Japanese that I worked with and I believe that if Subaru Japan people are anything like the Hitachi people I knew, there will be no laughing at his letter.

To each his own. I'm not about to get into a flamewar over this. Life is too short.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have almost the same issue, mine is 2019 subaru XV. After 6 months of used, absorber was making noice, aircon switch consoles was cracked, after 8 months from the brand new car I need to replace the battery, and now after 2 years the aircon is warm and find out that condenser is leaking. We don't know where to ask help, the local Brunei agent was ignoring us. They will not assist to any complain.

Reply to
Erwin

Hey sorry to hear about your situation. I am currently in the same boat have you had any luck contacting Japan? I tried contacting them in the beginning I received a email back weeks later telling me to deal with Subaru Australia however I did not put forward the extent of the situation I simply emailed asking who I could speak with to escalate a complicated warranty issue.

Reply to
Sarah

A few years ago I needed a new head gasket. Car was out of warranty but only 40,000 miles. Dealer was no help but call to Subaru of America submitting service records they refunded about a third of the repair cost.

If you are having difficulty browsing Subaru.com, please call us at

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) and we'll be happy to assist.
Reply to
invalid unparseable