No Heater Fan

I just bought a 1990 Loyale 165k miles . Heater fan dosn't work. The heater fan fuse is good. What steps do I take to trobleshoot?

Reply to
issjoe

To over-simplify, treat your fan blower circuit like the old battery, switch, and light circuits we were taught as kids and ensure there is a complete path for electricity going through the fan motor.

The fan motor runs on 12 volts, so you can take the thing out and put 12 volts directly to it and see if she goes round.

Your fan should have four, switch selectable settings, 1, 2, 3, & 4, and perhaps off someplace as well. Speeds 1, 2, & 3 go through a blower resistor which will be down by the fan motor, and speed 4 is a direct 12 volt feed. If 1, 2, or all of the first 3 settings were not functioning, yet speed 4 was fine, one would say, bad resistor or connection thereto and head to a junkyard to try and find a working replacement, or a dealership for a new one if you're feeling rich. :-) Since you say no settings are working, perhaps you have a bad ground someplace, bad speed select switch, bad off switch, or bad blower motor.

I would grab a multimeter and dig in, myself.

The blower motor fuse is good? Good. Check voltage there anyway.

Not knowing the most common part to fail, I would check each item in the series on my way from the fuse to the blower motor itself until I found the culprit, but hopefully somebody here will know which item goes the most often, so you can start with that?

Some disassembly may be required. :-)

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for your advise Brian. I was reading about the resister problem. Knowing that setting 4 is a direct feed clears things up. I have no fan setting that work, so I'll start with the switch and go from there.

Reply to
issjoe