RRC heater fan

The fan on my 1993 RRC 200 TDi has three speeds (and off) but only the full-blast III setting seems to do anything. Could anyone point me in the right diagnostic direction? Thanks.

Reply to
Andrew

Failed resistor pack? The fresh air fan in my 1990 RRC only operates at settings 2 and 3. I have been told that at some point in their history the resistor pack moved from being buried in the guts of the heater to being hidden under the decker panel. If you pull the bug grills off the decker panel you /may/ be able to see the resistor pack. I couldn't see it under mine and conclude that I have the resistor pack in the guts of the heater ;-(

An electronic current limiter is easy enough to build; it's getting access to the relevant bits of the wiring that is challenging. A summer job for me!

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

The prime candidates are the fan speed switch and the dropper resistors used on the the two lower speeds or the connections between the two.

Getting at the resistors which are mounted inside the heater casing (for this vintage, I think) is something that you need to avoid if at all possible.

You can gain access to the switch by removing the panel behind the switch knob. Firstly check that all the connections are intact. Check the switch function.

From there on it doesn't really matter if the resistors are open circuit or the connections at the resistor end need remaking - the solution (a summer job as has been suggested!) will be the same painful job unless you provide substitute resistors in a more accessible location.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks for the responses. I shall dig out the workshop manual PDFs and see if I can get to grips with it...

Reply to
Andrew

Well at least you didn't do what I did! My heater matrix failed on my RRC, and also my fan wasn't working properly either. So I duly took the heater box out and replaced my matrix, and also replaced the fan switch with a new one (because thats what I thought it was)....imagine my annoyance after spending hours getting the fecking thing back in and plumbed in, only to discover that the heater was still only working on full speed. I was even more fecked off after realising that the problem was probably the =A35 resistor pack situated within the heater box. There was no way I was going to get the whole lot out again just for that....

-- Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman