Re: speedometer recalibration - possible?

In the old days of cable driven speedometers, there were mechanical adapter boxes that fit between the transmission and the cable. Local International Harvester dealers parts depts were always good source...if they didn't have the ratio you wanted, they could get it for you. Their trucks must have used those, because I could always find one close to what I needed there. More often I'd scrounge the wrecked scouts in the local parts yard to get them cheaper. I don't know what they use now that speedometers no longer have cables...and confess I haven't looked... I'd suspect that the ones IH used were SAE while the Subarus likely have metric fittings?

Hey all, > > I just got some winter tires for my 2000 outback wagon. They are a > bit smaller than the stock (they are 205-55-r16 vs 225-60-R16). This > causes about a 7% discrepancy in the speedometer reading as well as > the odometer reading. I was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of > way of recalibrating the speedometer so that it reads correctly? It's > not a huge worry asI can just keep it in mind while I'm driving, but > it wouldn't hurt to have it reading back to normal if possible. > > -Nathan
Reply to
Jack Countryman