Replace how many tires?

I own a 2004 WRX STi.

I put my winter wheels/tires on and noticed that one tire is a bit damaged on the sidewall. The tires aren't much worn down yet, so I'm wondering, if I need to replace it, how many to replace? Can I get away with replacing just one tire, given that the AWD's pretty good, or must I replace two to make the wear match perfectly somehow? (I'll replace with exactly the size/model of the three undamaged tires.)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

How many miles on the winter tires? If the circumference isn't more than 1/4" different (read that on some tech board - you might want to confirm it) you only need to replace the one tire.

If the circumference is too far off, you might be able to find a shop that will "shave" the tire down to match. You only need to match the tire on the other side of the car, not all three.

Reply to
Ragnar

Ragnar writes: (snip)

Ah, thanks, great.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Subaru specifies that all four tires must have a rolling circumference within 1/4". That is circumference, NOT tread depth. It's always best to replace them in sets of four, unless the remaining tires are nearly new.

Reply to
mulder

I replaced one on my STi with no ill effects. The remaining three ties had about 75% tread left. Any more and it was recommended to replace two or shave the new one

Reply to
JD

On my 215/60/16 tire a 1/4 inch circumference difference = between

2/32 & 3/32 inch difference in tread depth. This of course is for the same size & model tire from the same manufacture.
Reply to
Edward Hayes